Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
We discourage posts that are just a link. Please add your impression of this particular review. Hawks is liked by some and criticized for errors by others.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,233 Posts
My first scope was a Redfield and I have owned many over the years. I am truly glad to see a company come out with a reasonably priced American made scope. I am looking forward to buying a new Redfield to see if all the rave reviews are true. I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I recently read another review of the Redfield 3-9x40 by Craig Boddington. He liked it enough that at the end of the article/review he stated he would keep the scope on the new custom rifle (previously unfired) that he aquired at the same time (and then tested the two together). Pretty good recommondation, I'd say.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Lets Not........

........take what these "rag' writers say as the gospel. Do we not understand that if a piece of merchandise is given to them for review, it is probably not just an ordinary item,randomly picked off the warehouse shelf by some nightshift,peon picker ??

I usually respect all persons opinions,however I tend not to "hover" on the gun/shooting/hunting writers opinion any more than the rest.

Also.....is the Redfield of some 20 years ago,the same Redfield of today ?? ----pruhdlr

Reactions: X Man

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
........take what these "rag' writers say as the gospel. Do we not understand that if a piece of merchandise is given to them for review, it is probably not just an ordinary item,randomly picked off the warehouse shelf by some nightshift,peon picker ??

I usually respect all persons opinions,however I tend not to "hover" on the gun/shooting/hunting writers opinion any more than the rest.

Also.....is the Redfield of some 20 years ago,the same Redfield of today ?? ----pruhdlr
Yeah I agree totally. It is really silly when they test fire a rifle "sent" from the maker. Who wouldn't send a proven MOA performer. Even if unfired (doubtful), they could hand-lap, bore scope, kryo-treat, tune the trigger to perfection, custom true and tim the bolt etc. Now if the yarn writer drives over to Cabellas and picks one up off the rack and buys it to test, that is a truer measure.

Reactions: X Man

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am glad to see Redfield back, but until I own one to test myself I am not going to put a lot of faith in the what the rag writers say.

As I have not seen to many negative reports on items that are tested. So as Bird Dog mentioned, manufacturers are not sending them pieces of crap to test. I am sure that manufacturers have a little clause in sending them items to test. Give us a good report, you keep the item at no charge.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Apparently I wasn't clear enough. In the March '10 issue of Guns & Ammo pg 30, Boddington tested the scope, which was a 4-12x40 (sorry about the mistake) on his new Ultra Light Arms rifle in .280. He sighted the rifle in, went hunting and after he scored with the combination rifle/scope and then had decided to simply buy and leave the scope on his new high $$ rifle. And, by the way, the rifle's accuracy did improve after break-in/sight-in, shooting at first over MOA and then under.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts

I guess I'm just curious as to what you'd prefer in a "product review" then. Would you rather buy everything yourself, try it and then sell what you didn't like afterwards? Would you prefer to read a review by an unknown "shooter" here, who might own one crooked barreled rifle he's using to test the scope? Or maybe be an employee of Leupold online making a remark about a Bushnell Elite he's actually never seen, never mind used?

I'm not trying to be rude, honestly I'm not. I'm just not sure what a shooter wants or expects when they automatically assume a reviewer is getting something under the table or and item for nothing in exchange for lying about a product. I can tell you that from what I've learned, read about and know to be fact, the items reviewed are not normally free and must be returned or paid for at the end of the test if the reviewer likes it enough to actually want it.

Yes, the best reviews might be written by someone who actually paid for an item before testing and then told us what their honest opinion of the product was (but then they might be biased after spending their $$). Unfortunately that person may also have no experiences with other items with which to compare that product. And there are those who do just that on some sites.

I have no idea if you've actually ever joined the online site you remarked on, but if you have or you did, you'd see more than a few products panned and panned hard, when they seem to deserve it. Any review of a product is only one person's (or in some cases, a staff's opinion) on that particular product. The difference might be that they have used other different items intended for like use with which to make a comparison, perhaps making the opinion viable. And, to keep the record straight, any reviews a non-member sees on the non-paying side, is not the complete, comprehensive review found elsewhere.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I'm skeptical of many things these days, from anything that says "free" on it, to every single word that comes out of a lawyer or politician's mouth. This also includes much of what I see written in gun magazines and certainly on forums! :p

However, I DO trust some sources and, for my money, Col. Craig Boddington is most certainly a trust-worthy source. He is one of a handful of gun writers who has definitely "been there, done that" and I cannot recall a single thing he's written that I rolled my eyes at. If he says the new Redfield scopes are a good product, and they're actually made in the US, then I will probably own one before long.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I'm skeptical of many things these days, from anything that says "free" on it, to every single word that comes out of a lawyer or politician's mouth. This also includes much of what I see written in gun magazines and certainly on forums! :p

However, I DO trust some sources and, for my money, Col. Craig Boddington is most certainly a trust-worthy source. He is one of a handful of gun writers who has definitely "been there, done that" and I cannot recall a single thing he's written that I rolled my eyes at. If he says the new Redfield scopes are a good product, and they're actually made in the US, then I will probably own one before long.

If you've not read it already, Boddington's book The American Hunting Rifle is a true classic and an absolutely great read. I'm on my fourth or fifth book by the master, Jack O'Connor, right now and really enjoying it. But, in my opinion, Boddington's book is better than Jack's on the same subject. Both are fantastic reads for any hunter.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Leupold is now the owner of the Redfield brand and is manufacturing them. Whether they're made here, assembled offshore from US made parts, or totally made offshore, I don't know.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah I agree totally. It is really silly when they test fire a rifle "sent" from the maker. Who wouldn't send a proven MOA performer. Even if unfired (doubtful), they could hand-lap, bore scope, kryo-treat, tune the trigger to perfection, custom true and tim the bolt etc. Now if the yarn writer drives over to Cabellas and picks one up off the rack and buys it to test, that is a truer measure.
Not really. You would really need to check out A LOT of guns if you wanted to get any real information of value. That data would then have to be analyzed statistically. Otherwise, any information on ONE gun is representative of only that ONE gun no matter how or where that gun was obtained. To extrapolate to any other information would be similar to firing one shot on paper and trying to say anything about accuracy, etc. from that one shot. Of course, to do so would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leupold is now the owner of the Redfield brand and is manufacturing them. Whether they're made here, assembled offshore from US made parts, or totally made offshore, I don't know.
They are entirely American made and built in Oregon.

The idea is to have Redfield compete with the imported scopes and keep Leupold as a higher end scope. Some of the manufacturing processes are the same however to help with ruggedness and quality.

Although the optics are not as high end as the Leupold, the idea is to have better optics than the imported scopes in the same price range as the Redfield.

These are so new it will take some time for user feedback to hit the net, but then some people will still find a reason not to believe those reports either.

·
Banned
101 Posts
When you're 1/2 the way to a Leupy, keep going till you get there. Whoop de do.......Chuck Hawks likes it....Can I put one on you're hated Tikka, Chucky?

I am especially fond of the.......like a Leupold...part. The Redfield name cant stand on it's own without uncle Leupy driving the ship.

She'll make Prostaff take note, and prolly go over well with the $500 rifle club. Craigy will undoubtedly give his "just as good" speech.. as to be expected by a Ruger schleper...

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
16 Bore,

I'm going to respectfully submit that you're on the wrong gun forum. There are plenty of others out there to choose from where extreme cynicism, elitism and (thinly veiled) foul language are part and parcel of every post. I think you would fit in fine on one of those sites. Frankly, you stick out like a sore thumb, here.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
For Awhile.......

......I was a subscriber to Gun Tests magazine. That was back in the early to mid '90's. I found it factual and ALWAYS gave honest results of their test subjects. The rag had absolutely NO advertising throughout it's pages. It continuously stated that the weapons(and associated equipment)that they tested would come from walking into a store and purchasing it. In fact,Underwriters Lab's(UL)does this same thing.

To me,this is the way tests(that I am to believe in) should be handled. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you're 1/2 the way to a Leupy, keep going till you get there.
I hear this all the time and am frankly getting sick of it.

Funny how people have no problem telling other people to spend money that they may not be able to afford.

Do you know what other people's financial situation is or are willing to make up the difference for other people and send them the additional money? I doubt it.

·
Banned
101 Posts
While I removed the Fabrique Nationale for your viewing pleasure, I find it disturbing that one willing to stand for the defense of Amendment #2, forgot about #1.

I'll take elite as a compliment, but only in regards to what I do know....

·
Banned
101 Posts
I hear this all the time and am frankly getting sick of it.

Funny how people have no problem telling other people to spend money that they may not be able to afford.

Do you know what other people's financial situation is or are willing to make up the difference for other people and send them the additional money? I doubt it.

Is there a list somewhere that shows which tax bracket is able to buy Leupold? Maybe you could post a link for all to see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.