Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd share a few pics of my new 1892 "El Dorado" .357
I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the action feels really smooth right out of the box and the quality of the fit and finish looks pretty impressive. If it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be very happy. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! :)

Yeah, it's an Italian replica, copen.
I think it's actually made by Chiappa.
I looked at the Rossi (Brazilian) models, but the Cimarron had all the features I was looking for (hoop lever, 20" barrel, case hardening, saddle ring, etc..) and it just seemed to be an overall better quality gun, IMO ... and no safety! :p

Hope to get out and shoot it as soon!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I hope you like the big loop better than I did.

After a year's use, I switched out the big loop on my .357 for a standard loop.

Even though I hunt in Northern climes, I still found the larger loop excessively large for gloved/winter use.

I find the diferent orientation of the saddle ring staple interesting - 90-degrees from Rossi & Winchester.
It looks like the ring lies a little flatter, and has less chance of marking the side of the receiver, after a few years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Even though I hunt in Northern climes, I still found the larger loop excessively large for gloved/winter use.

I find the diferent orientation of the saddle ring staple interesting - 90-degrees from Rossi & Winchester.
It looks like the ring lies a little flatter, and has less chance of marking the side of the receiver, after a few years.

I just noticed today that the staple for the saddle ring is not stationary ... it swivels.
There is no second hole, so I'm assuming it was designed this way.

I've also added a string of leather to the saddle ring to help prevent it from making contact with the receiver and scratching it all up.
It also gives it more of a "cowboy" look. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well, come to find out, this is not "by design" for it to swivel like that.
I emailed Cimarron and was told that it should be connected on both sides and that it was probably "broken". Then they asked for pics.

When I sent pics, I explained that there was no second hole for attachment, nor was there any sort of plug where it may have broken off. I then later received a response telling me that it the staple was only connected on one side and that it had a nut on the inside that must have come loose. Then they simply gave me a telephone number where I could send it out for repair.

Huh? The gun is only a week old and has never been fired! :confused:
I went on to explain that I felt it should be covered under warranty and I shouldn't have to pay for freight (both ways) and the labor to fix their defective part. I also stressed my concern over this "loose nut" that could work it's way entirely off and potentially damage the internal workings of the gun, or even worse ... pose the risk of bodily injury to myself and/or others. Again, their response was to ask me to send it to a "gunsmith". Then they were kind enough to provide a telephone number that was not in service.

When I got home, I took a closer look and the staple was simply threaded into the receiver.
There was no "nut". Just a couple turns of the saddle ring, and it was nice and tight again.

I sincerely hope I NEVER have to deal with Cimarron customer service EVER AGAIN.
My bad for not taking a closer look before contacting them, but my exchange with them just proves that they have absolutely no clue about the products they sell, nor do they stand behind their products or honor any sort of warranty.

Lesson learned. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
"I sincerely hope I NEVER have to deal with Cimarron customer service EVER AGAIN."

Sad to say, but that is a phrase that has been heard too often regarding Cimarron service. We all hope for a change for the better.

·
Inactive
78 Posts
My problem with Cimmaron dates back a few years buy with a Colt 1873 clone of theirs....hope it's not balsphemy to mention a handgun on this page.....anyway the front sight "fell" off when shooting. Then I discovered the sight slot was cut off center on the bbl., put the sight back on anyway.......a couple of matches later sight fell off again and this time I lost it. Short version....they never even answered by letter or emails regarding the complaint. Finally I fixed it myself......made a new front sight from a Mexican coin I had and used epoxy in milled groove for the sight bladenin bbl and then propped the sight so it was plumb and straight with bbl whilst it cured. Still there. Very poor customer servvice from Cimmaron......actually......ZERO customer service from Cimmaron! I don't buy their products anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My problem with Cimmaron dates back a few years buy with a Colt 1873 clone of theirs....hope it's not balsphemy to mention a handgun on this page.....anyway the front sight "fell" off when shooting. Then I discovered the sight slot was cut off center on the bbl., put the sight back on anyway.......a couple of matches later sight fell off again and this time I lost it. Short version....they never even answered by letter or emails regarding the complaint. Finally I fixed it myself......made a new front sight from a Mexican coin I had and used epoxy in milled groove for the sight bladenin bbl and then propped the sight so it was plumb and straight with bbl whilst it cured. Still there. Very poor customer servvice from Cimmaron......actually......ZERO customer service from Cimmaron! I don't buy their products anymore.
That's terrible. :(

The "problem" I had wasn't really a problem after all, but had I listened to them, it would have cost me shipping to and from the gunsmith, and most likely the cost of his time to see that there was no problem. Not to mention the several weeks I would have been without my gun. It just really irritates me to know that Cimarron knows absolutely nothing about the products they sell. Nor do they really seem to care.

I love my ElDorado and I'm not sorry I bought it.
My hats off to Chippia for the good quality, fit and finish, but I doubt I'll buy anything else from Cimarron.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, come to find out, this is not "by design" for it to swivel like that.
I emailed Cimarron and was told that it should be connected on both sides and that it was probably "broken". Then they asked for pics.

When I sent pics, I explained that there was no second hole for attachment, nor was there any sort of plug where it may have broken off. I then later received a response telling me that it the staple was only connected on one side and that it had a nut on the inside that must have come loose. Then they simply gave me a telephone number where I could send it out for repair.

Huh? The gun is only a week old and has never been fired! :confused:
I went on to explain that I felt it should be covered under warranty and I shouldn't have to pay for freight (both ways) and the labor to fix their defective part. I also stressed my concern over this "loose nut" that could work it's way entirely off and potentially damage the internal workings of the gun, or even worse ... pose the risk of bodily injury to myself and/or others. Again, their response was to ask me to send it to a "gunsmith". Then they were kind enough to provide a telephone number that was not in service.

When I got home, I took a closer look and the staple was simply threaded into the receiver.
There was no "nut". Just a couple turns of the saddle ring, and it was nice and tight again.

I sincerely hope I NEVER have to deal with Cimarron customer service EVER AGAIN.
My bad for not taking a closer look before contacting them, but my exchange with them just proves that they have absolutely no clue about the products they sell, nor do they stand behind their products or honor any sort of warranty.

Lesson learned. :)

LockTite .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's hope you have better luck than THIS. They are made by Chiappa but just imported by Taylor's & Company.
WoW ... I hope I don't have those problems, but if I do, I won't be sending it back.
I'd rather just find a reputable gunsmith and pay for it then go through all that. :(

I'll keep you guys posted.
I have a cabin in West Virginia where I go shooting.
I won't be able to get up there for a couple weeks though.
Stay tuned! ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:
Went to my cabin over the weekend and did some shooting.
The action was smooth as slik, everything cycled perfect and the rifle was surprisingly accurate right out of the box!

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera but my best groups were about 2-1/2' at around 25-30 yards.

Despite poor customer service from Cimarron, it's a very nice gun. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.