Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone purchased or shot the Peacemaker Jr. in .38 spl.?? I found one and I like how it feels and points. But I have reservations about it.
Are they accurate? Are they reliable? How well built and designed are they? Are they worth $ 510.00 my dealer is asking?

Budd

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
While I like the idea of a reduced size single action revolver for those with smaller hands, ease of carry, maybe as a backpacker or campers gun, I have some reservations about it too.

IMO, the smaller, lighter, gun has a bit more felt recoil. There may be a problem finding a holster for it. Parts durability may or may not be an issue but there should be no problems with parts availability.

I have a Cimarron Model P which is a full size Colt clone. It comes in several calibers, finishes, and barrel lengths at slightly more cost. Being heavier, in the same .38 Special caliber, felt recoil likely will be less. Parts are bigger and should hold up pretty well and no problem finding leather for it. I've had my Model P for over five years and have numerous rounds of .44 WCF fired through it with no problems (yet).

Would suggest you handle a Model P for comparison purposes and make your choice from there. If you like the .38 Special, consider a Model P in .357 Magnum since it will shoot both .357 and .38s interchangeably. If you like the smaller gun better, then go for it. Cimarrons are well buillt, affordable, and they are as accurate as the shooter can shoot.

Just my dos centavos, YMMV and other opinions certainly respected.

www.buffaloarms.com has better prices on the Model P Jr.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I too handled one of the JR P's at local store last week. Reeely nice!
Even got a smile on my wifes' face. The one we liked was a 3 1/2 inch.
They're only making it in .38 Special according to their web site. You might look around, they sell for $400 here. Good Luck

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
I don't know what the availability of these is, but I got my wife one of the new Ruger flattop .357s. Hers was an anniversary run and I do not know if these have made it into regular production. If they have, I'd give it strong consideration. They balance and carry better than the ordinary New Model Blackhawk .357s, and aren't bad to shoot. Durability shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Cimarron caries both the model P and the Lightning in .22 rf, .38 special and .41 Colt and a dual cylinder model in .32 H&R and 32/20. They're just a tad larger than a Ruger Single Six and I think a holster for the Single Six would fit a Cimarron. That price seems a bit high to me. I think they wholesale for about $400. There were some problems when they first came onto the market maybe 15 years ago but if they hadn't worked out the bugs by now I doubt Cimarron would still carry them. I'd like to have a Lightning in .41 Colt myself.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The Lightning in 41 Colt would be nice. The brass is available but expensive. I found an article on the net that shows how to make 41 Colt from 38 Special and 357 Mag brass. Bullets are available and so are molds. Black powder worked the best for the writer. A 3 and 1/2 inch Lightning with 200 gr BP loads would make a fun revolver.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. The one that I have been looking at is a 3 1/2 in bbl and nickle finnished. It feels good in my hand and points good. I have been told that they just scaled down everything 25% except for the grip and it works just like the standard peacemaker with the exception of a frame mounted firing pin. I am no stranger to Single Actions having two Uberites and 3 Rugers Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. But seeing the Peacemaker Jr was something I never seen and I has really caught my interest in it and I really like to know more before I buy.

Budd

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, guy, I bought the Cimarron Peacemaker Jr. in .38 special. I was not able to get it nickle finnish, but I did get it in blued and case harden finish. Took it to the range the day I picked it up after the 7 day cooling off period. It is great. shoots good with cowboy loads and is pretty accurate. The first two 5 shot groups were 2 & 1/2 inch groups but the first one was about 2 inches low from point of aim, and the 2nd was about the same group size but about an inch and 1/2 low. Not too bad and once I find the load the the Peacemaker Jr favors and a little practice it will be a great little gun to carry around my Dad farm doing things and when I'm in the woods takeing pictures.

Budd

·
Registered
2 Posts
as long as you can see it.does it spell colt thats when you hear the four clicks when cocking it, the cylinder pin slides out easy,and cylinder doesn't wiggle. DO NOT ORDER.on sight only. Its a good gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts