Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, i have'nt been here for a while, but i do have a question for those of you who "OWN", or HAVE OWNED," this little gun.

I know it will not take what a Ruger will take, i understand that, and i do reload by the way.

But, i need to know just 'how much,' ths gun will handle without tearing up etc. i.e in terms of velosity.
will it take winchester 'factory silverytips ok?'

Is it a gun that needs to stay "UNDER" 1000 fps?
Just how 'hot can you safely go with this particular gun? (and it stay together and be safe).

Secondly, is it a good durable, reliable gun, or a problematic?

I am used to ruger etc. so i really do not know what this gun is like.

I would like to be able to load it to the point of it being able to take a deer, or cougar, at 25 yards or so, and i 'am not' into the cowboy action stuff.

I would carry it from time to time on the ranch in west Texas, and i know i can load it down for rattlers, no problem... but how much will it safely take?... CONSISTENTLY.

Thanks in advance....!

CanyonMan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
It's a copy of a Colt SAA so definitely NOT in the same league as a Ruger.

Unless the Win ammo is marked "Ruger Only" or some such, I would think it would be safe in your gun. Most companies who market high-pressure loads for the Rugers take great pains to mark their ammo as such. Silvertips aren't known for being fire-breathing loads, anyway. Check with the gun manufacturer and Winchester if there is the slightest doubt.

So.... while the debate may rage over the strength of that particular gun (and in fact with better metallurgy it may be a slight improvement over the old Colt).... it would probably be the smartest thing to stick with 'standard' .45 Colt loads.

Now, that's not exactly a pipsqueak level. Speer manual shows 260gr. bullets (jacketed) at just over 900fps, and below SAAMI max of 14,000CUP. You might bump that a bit (especially with cast bullets) without causing trouble but I suspect that will be about all the recoil you want to deal with any way.

That will easily kill a deer if you do your part... and snakes... and coyotes.... and the occasional pig also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MikeG,

Thanks for the reply.... That load will indeed take care of anything we have going on around here...

I am still curious though of those that have owned this gun, as to it's 'durability.'

I guess after owning rugers since the 70's i am very catious about 'clones' of any nature.. i realize they will probably hold up well for the cowboy action guys, at 600/700 fps; but i just wondered about a steady diet of 800/950fps, (as you said reoil on this little gun will be plenty i would think), but i am getting an 'itch' for it, just don't want to buy something i can't run 900fps through.

Actually the figure you gave, and even a bit lower (fps), will , as you said, take the deer or the lion, at a decent range of course, but i need a dependability report i guess, and durability as well....

The info: you gave is helpful, and for that i "thank you very much."

God bless ya!

Gary

·
Banned
738 Posts
CanyonMan,

I don't own a clone right now but I have in the past.
I've owned three. One was timed and adjusted correctly and shot well.
The second one had something out of adjustment between the cylinder bolt and the hammer cam that moves it. I ended up having to replace the hammer and bolt, because the bolt cut a grove in it and the timing went away.

On most of the forums, and in the adds for several smiths that will work on them, the number one caution is to have the fit and timing of the action checked, and adjusted if necessary before you shoot it. This way you catch any possible damage before it happens.
The overall consencus of posters who own them is that the hand and bolt/trigger springs are more prone to breakage than Colts. Something about the steel being brittle.
I have also read that the steel in the frames is "soft". I honestly can't verify that. I have an early Uberti made Cattleman frame that someone attempted to destroy by shooting it with a .22 of some sort. I straightened the topstrap and put some hot proof loads through it and it did not blow. That could mean it's soft, or just not brittle.
Or it could mean that some people consider anything not as strong as a Ruger as inferior.

At any rate I would say that you would be safe using SAMMI spec loads to your hearts content. Altho the recoil of some of them will get your attention.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate your help thus far guys.
i got the itch, for the little 45. i got about everything else i need, so, might as well go ahead and do it. If nothing else, i'm sure it will be a pleasure to carry on the ranch, and do in some snakes, and as we said above, i'm certain it will handle a cougar or a deer at 25/35 yards with about 265/300 gr. cast bullet, and keeping the velosity in the proper range.

Although i will continue to make my 44 vaquero the 'gun of choice for the serious canyon work.

I was reading something by Paco Kelly, last night, and he had a good recipie for the same gun, and a 300gr. cast...
Don't remember right of hand what it was.. i saved it in a folder in the PC somewhere! :)

I welcome anyone else who wants to chime in here... but again, Thanks to you all for the replies.

God Bless Ya!

CanyonMan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts