Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a smaller sized SA revolver to just shoot .38 Specials out of.  And it looks like the Cimmeron Lightning would fill the bill.
But, are they OK with +P ammo?  I don't shoot much of it, but I need to occassionally.
Does anyone know about these little guns?
I have emailed Cimmeron but as of yet have recieved no reply.
Thanks Joe

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HHMMMMMM,
I have posted this question on three forums.
Only one responce and the poster thought the Lightning was a full sized rev.  So his answer doesn't help.
Even Cimmeron hasn't anwered either of my emails.
Frustrating.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
I thought that all the Cimarron SA's were basically copies of the Colt SAA.

And Colt has offered the SAA in .357 Mag.  So... the basic SAA design can handle it.

But... who knows what Cimarron is making their guns out of (presumably all steel?).

If it is an all-steel gun, and the same basic frame size as any other SAA, then I'd think that the .38 +p's wouldn't hurt it with occasional use.  

But that's just my opinion.  Too bad the company hasn't answered your email.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MikeG,

Do you remember the Thunderer and the Lightning Colt "Double Action" revolvers of the 1800's?
In this paring the Thunderer was the same size as the regular SAA.  The Lightning was a smaller frame size.
So when Cimmeron introduced the Lightning they built it the same size as the smaller Colt Lightning of the 1800's.  Cimmerons thing is that it is a SA not a DA rev.
There in lies my quandry.  If it were a full size rev I wouldn't even be asking these questions.  But, since it is a small framed gun, I am leary about just blindly using +P's in it.
And I won't shell out money for a .38 that isn't able to use +P's.
I hope this has cleared up my reasons for asking this question.
Here is the Cimarron web site.  Check out the Lightning and Thunderer.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I got my answer from Cimarron today.  It came from Harvey Lane.

He stated: "Though I wouldn't recommend it for a steady diet, limited use of +P ammo should be OK in the gun.  About like the old S&W Chief Special."

So as far as I am concerned when the funds become available, I'm gonna get one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts