Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My not much of a bird hunter so take that in hand. My son wants to go grouse hunting with a friend and he doesn't know how or what to do with the birds he figures he's going to get. How do you field dress/clean these kind of birds? thanks in advance as always....

·
Banned
35 Posts
Hey Flintski,
MOst birds are not that tough. When I started hunting I bought a book--Dress em out by capt. james a smith.I think I got it off of amazon for about $15 .Big game and small the books got em all.Great tool good illustrations.
Nathan

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Flintski,
Most people I know that hunt grouse, my all-time favorite game bird, only keep the breast of the bird. They can be plucked and eviscerated like any other bird, but unless your prefferred method of preperation call for it, or you just cant bear the idea of losing a couple ounces of meat, it is the most simple and easiest method of cleaning them.

Here it goes. (1) Place grouse on the ground on it's back (2) Put one foot on each of the birds wings (3) Grasp one foot in each and and slowy, but steadily, pull upward.

You will end up with the breast of the bird attached to the wings that are under your feet. Cut them off and wipe the blood or any other undesirable left overs off the meat. The breast is now ready to eat after any shot that may still be in it is removed. This method is best performed as soon after the kill as possible. If I'm hunting multiple areas, I'll keep a cooler of ice and some plastic bags on/in the hunting vehicle along with some disposable gloves or baby wipes. When I return to the vehicle I'll dress the birds in this manner and clean them as best I can and place the OPEN plastic bags in the cooler of ice. Just as with any game animal, it's best to field dress as soon as you can. The entire process, including wiping down the breast and cutting wings, will take less than 1 minute when properly executed with the tools at hand. I like to use a tin snip to take the wings off. Keep the blood off of your guns!

When you get back to the cabin/house, heat up the oven to 300 degrees, put a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup in a smallish roasting pan with a cover, cut an onion or two into quarters or smaller and throw in the pan, and roast the breasts in this mixture covered until done. Take the cover off the roaster every 15 minutes and ladel some of the soup mixture over the breasts. A roaster with a good, tigh fitting, lid is the best to prevent drying. For a real treat, wrap the breasts in some good hickory smoked bacon and secure with toothpicks while roasting. When done remove the bacon and enjoy. If you like a little sauce with the meat, run some of the soup and onions in a blender at a lower speed setting, with the bacon, until bacon and onions are coarsley chopped.
Don't forget the "soppin' bread" if you make the sauce.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Nate,
I got my cholesterol report back from the sawbones yesterday, I'm good for bacon-enriched sauces for at least another year. You can't beat wild game, be it bird or ungulates, for healthy eating. Well, just so long as you don't use too much bacon ;) Some is better for you than others, but most all of it is better than the meat you pay others to kill for you.l

1 - 6 of 6 Posts