Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my SRH a few months ago and have only done the basic cleaning. I have not disassembled it for a thorough cleaning yet as I noticed it comes apart in major assemblies which is somewhat more involved than my other revolvers. Is there anything to watch out for when disassembling it? I read the owners manual but I still thought I would ask.

I would really like to get the cylinder assembly apart and give those pieces a good cleaing as those "nooks and crannies" are hard to get into when assembled. Is this recommended? I'd lilke some first hand experience before I pull this thing apart.

Thanks,
Toby

·
Banned
63 Posts
IF YOU ARE VERY MECHANICALLY INCLINED GO AHEAD - TAKE IT APART. HAVE ONE OF THE MANUALS READY TO ASSIST WITH RE-ASSEMBLY. BE PREPARED TO 'CATCH' FLYING PARTS AND SPRINGS THAT MAY BE UNDER PRESSURE!

IF YOU'RE NOT VERY MECHANICALLY INCLINED JUST BUY A GOOD SPRAY ON CLEANER, MAYBE THE 'CASTROL' TYPE AND USE IT PER THE INSTRUCTI0NS. WHY ASK FOR TROUBLE IF YOU DON'T NEED IT? CASTROL USUALLY MAKES A GOOD PRODUCT.

FINISH OFF THE CLEANING WITH A GOOD, REASONABLE SPRAY OF A QUALITY LUBRICANT, AGAIN FROM CASTROL, AND WIPE THE GUN DOWN LIGHTLY BEFORE PUTTING IT AWAY.

I WOULDN'T GET OVERZEALOUS WITH REMOVING THE CYLINDER, PULLING OUT THE TRIGGER GROUP, ETC. IT'S REALLY NOT NEEDED. DO CLEAN UP THE 'STAR' EXTRACTOR VERY WELL, HOWEVER, TO PREVENT PROBLEMS THERE.

BLESSINGS UPON YOU.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Took apart my SRHK 454 and 480 with no special tools. There is one tool that I will need to take the ejector off the cylinder, and that should be here any day now, but its not really necessary to go that far unless you really want to. e-mail me at [email protected] and I have a schematic blown up picture of the SRHK, if you don't have your manual, which I didn't.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ok you guys may know this, if you need any Ruger Manuals, you can call ruger and get them no charge, I just got a few, one for the 454 Casull and my 338 Win mag. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Most other companies will send you a free manual too. I've got them from Browning, Marlin, Remington and Thompson/Center. Remington even set me a photocopy of the manual for my late father's Model 10 12 gauge, which he got for his 14th birthday, in 1924. Savage has downloadable manuals on their website.
http://www.savagearms.com/

Bye
Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts