Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come into posession of a considerable number of 158 grain semi-wadcutter bullets with a lube that has a bunch of dust and debris hanging off it. I would like to clean them up and put a clean lube back in it's place. I was thinking of using hot water to melt and float off the dirty lube. Am I heading in the right direction, or is there a better way?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . I was thinking of using hot water to melt and float off the dirty lube. . .
Have never done this but would try a heat source like a hair dryer first rather than using hot water. If you can melt the lube off without adding water, it will be much easier to collect and dispose of the lube.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
It depends on what the lube is? If it is a wax, a nasty chlorinated solvent like methylene chloride should work, so a liquid paint stripper that includes that is one possibility. Dichlorethane used by dry cleaners would work if you can get some? Most lubes will likely eventually break down just sitting in mineral spirits. You could try that in a dish overnight to see what happens? Naphtha may work, too?

If you need to stay water base, a lye solution might do it, but get out the gloves.

Since I have some anyway, I would also try an overnight soak with a sample in a citrus oil cleaner, too. Zep makes one you can buy by at Home Depot by the gallon. It may need to be heated to work on wax? Using it in an ultrasonic cleaner might be a good approach, too? The stuff breaks down cooking oil deposits on our range hood, so it is pretty effective.

Once you get the stuff off, just rolling in liquid Alox seems like the least troublesome way to re-lube.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I hadn't thought of those solvents. I have a large quantity of MEK on the shelf. I'll give it a whirl. I also have the ZEP purple, if that's what you're talking about. I will try the Alox when I'm done.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
There's a good thought. Not much that won't come off under a steam jet, either, but boiling is simple, as long as the wife doesn't catch you doing it in her pans on her stove. We don't really care if a small trace is left, anyway, so solvent cleaning is likely overkill. Just need the dirty part gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts