Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen carbon fiber rods, aluminum rods, steel rods, coated rods, etc. What is the best to use. I have a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308. Also, is the Lucas Bore Guide worth the build-up or or other good ones out there?

·
Registered
542 Posts
The only solid advise I could give you is get a one-piece rod. The ones you screw together are a PAIN! And just my $0.02, but there is less of a chance that you would scratch anything with a CF or such like rod.

My buddy wants a 700 SPS Tactical I think. What do you think of it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it a lot. I was looking at the Varmint model but I like the shorter barrel and the Hogue stock better than what's on the varmint model. Shoots great!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just buy you a coated "J. Dewey" rod and forget all the rest. You won't be sorry. They have very well built and have some really smooth ball bearings in the handle. I like the "Possum Hollow" bore guides sold by Brownells.

·
The Shadow
7,893 Posts
If you are going to get a rod, get a one piece. I personally don't use them. Just a bore snake. With a few exceptions, fouling in guns is just powder. Quite frankly WD-40 and a bore snake is more than enough to clean the bore properly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a few different CF ones all made by GunSlick.

I like them. The only reason I chose them over anything else was that they were on sale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts