Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9422 XTR that I am just starting to shoot more frequently it is alot of fun. Do you guys usually clean the rifle from the bore or do you break it down each time and what cleaning products do you prefer? Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 1972 vintage 9422 that I recently got. I broke it down to clean before I shot it. It breaks down very easily with just the one screw.

I prefer to clean from the breach. Old habbit from small bore target shooting days. I also break down my Marlin 39As and my Ruger 10/22. It has a hole in the receiver to clean from the breach.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I crack my 9422 and 39A in half when I clean them, I find the action needs scraping out more than the barrel, there seems to be some debate on how often a 22 rimfire needs cleaning!??, some guys after every shooting and others when the action wont cycle or the riffle (or pistol) starts shooting all over the place!?, I tend to go a little longer between cleanings on my guns, depends on how much each one gets shot, but I do clean my BP guns and 8MM Mauser (corrosive military surplus ammo) after every shooting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I crack my 9422 and 39A in half when I clean them, I find the action needs scraping out more than the barrel, there seems to be some debate on how often a 22 rimfire needs cleaning!??, some guys after every shooting and others when the action wont cycle or the riffle (or pistol) starts shooting all over the place!?, I tend to go a little longer between cleanings on my guns, depends on how much each one gets shot, but I do clean my BP guns and 8MM Mauser (corrosive military surplus ammo) after every shooting.
I agree, the bore seldom needs cleaning, but the action on most of my .22RFs pick up a lot of unburned powder and other garbage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts