Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got through MTHUNTER's thread on 10mm v. 44mag. I coundn't help but notice that the only one not posting was MTHUNTER.

Heard some folks speak about their close calls and wondred if you guys would like to let us know about your best close call?

Calling coyotes one night setting in a fence row. Full moon and 6 inches of snow. I was shotgun that night and friend was rifleman. Not real cold so with no 'yotes for a while started to nod(didn't want to go home).

Of a sudden heard a VERY startled comotion and awakened to see a "doggie" reversing in mid air. Seems that my pard had been napping, too and the dang thing was sniffing at his pant leg when he woke up.

Didn't go to sleep on the next set up!

·
Banned
415 Posts
I can't honestly say I've ever had anything I'd consider a "close call", other than the time the kid in our hunting party got out of my truck with his finger in the trigger guard of a loded rifle with the safety off. His .25-06 round touched down about 2" away from my rear tire. We never did get an answer from him as to why in the heck his gun was even loaded in the truck in the first place, let alone with the safety off and his finger on the trigger. He wasn't brand new to hunting, he'd been packing a rifle for about 3 years...but we always checked his gun for him after that.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Don't know if it qualifies but I liked to hunt jack rabbits at night in the desert by moon light. I never carried anything but a 22 revolver. One night came face to face with a female mountain lion at about 50'. The next 7 or 8 seconds was the longset 3 hours of my life as she looked at me, decided I wasn't worth the bother and continued on her way. Went back to the car with damp pants, I attributed it to the warm night air and sweat. I still went hunting rabbits with a 22 revolver but a 357 mag rode in a holster on my hip after that. Also had 2 dogs and a hunting partner most of the time. Not scared or nothing, I just liked the companionship.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Not hunting related, but...

Years ago, I had a mutt, part Airedale Terrier, part Springer Spaniel, and part Travelling Salesman. ********** (another story...) was the most laid-back dog on the planet. If he could be bothered to bark, you had BEST go see what was happening.

He wanted to go out one late fall/early winter evening, and when I opened the door, that dog flat came unglued and went tearing out around the back of the garage just a'barkin' and a'slobberin'. It was black dark out, but I didn't take time to find a flashlight, I just started after that dog to see what was up.

Our back yard is fenced and the corner of the garage closest to the driveway anchors one end of the fence. Gator was in that corner sounding like he'd lost his mind. Without thinking too much about it, I headed over to investigate. Got right in the corner and couldn't see or smell anything (thinking skunk...)

I leaned over the fence and looked around the corner and about 8 or 10 feet away, standing in the middle of the driveway was the biggest, ugliest and most confused bull moose I've ever seen. I managed to avoid ruining a perfectly good pair of skivvies, but it was a darn close thing!

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I was about 14, I was out deer hunting one day and as I was one of the drivers I was walking throught the woods. I got about halfway through the drive I come to a blown down tree with the roots in the air, Thinking that there may be a deer laying on the other side I looked through a hole in the dirt and roots. Boy was I surprised to come face to face with about a 150 lb black bear. It was close enough I could feel his breath and Im sure he could feel mine. I took off one direction and he took off in the other. The whole time Im screaming like a little girl. My BIL who was the closest driver yelled over to me what had happened, when I told him what had happened he laughed louder than I was screamin. The funny thing was I was carrying my 91 argentine but it never crossed my mind to do anything but run. That was definatly the fasstest I ever went through a drive.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I ran into a bear in Yellowstone Park when I was 7 years old. I ran everywhere in those days and as usual was running back to our camp site after visiting the wash cabin. A bear had pulled a garbage can out of the ground, emptied it out and was having his dinner where the path from the wash cabin met the road.

It was night and I was moving down the path pretty fast, but I stopped short like a backpedalling cartoon character about 2 feet from the bear. It looked like a Mack truck parked on the edge of the road.

I screamed and ran back up the path, and the bear grunted, raised up and dashed off down the road. Probably as scared as I was.

Since then I've had a thing about bears. Good excuse for buying multiple sidearms. I never want to see one up close like that unless I just shot it.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
My hunting buddie and I had just retrieved a downed squirrel from a dry creek bed. We continued walking up the creek bed looking for a low bank to get out. We came to a shallow bank and decided to climb out there. My buddy tossed his Browning Auto 5 upon the bank before climing up. As soon as he tossed the gun, a rattle snake rattled right at the top of the bank. If my buddy had stuck his head up first he would have probably been bitten in the face. He left the shotgun on the bank and walked up farther to get out. I stayed put so he could find his gun. The snake was gone when he got to the gun thank goodness..

·
Banned
33 Posts
A few ago I was deer hunting in a very rugged part of West Texas. I had selected a place for the next mornings hunt on the crest of a small cliff, next to a large fallen tree that hung out over the cliff - a great natural recliner. I arrived at the spot well before sunrise, and promply fell to sleep - deep sleep. The warm heat of the sun woke me well after sunrise, but I was not alone. The base of that fallen tree was the mouth of a rattlesnake den, and they were all around me, some coiled next to my legs. It was to my benefit that I like snakes, and was able to keep my head getting them to move.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
When I lived in south FL, we had a good sized man made lake a block away. It was an old rock pit about 65 ft deep in the middle and wasnt connected to the canals so wasnt polluted. Had a lot of fish and was stocked with peacock bass and black bass. On the one corner there was a wooded area with a big tree that the kids had put a rope on the swing out over the water. I was down there one day and saw some thing down about 6 feet in the clear water. Couldnt see it clearly but looked long and about the size of my arm. Also had a green and red striped/ mottled look to it. It was just motionless in the water and I didnt think it was alive. I found a stick long enough to reach it. Gave it a poke. It suddenly came to life. Came up out of the water like a rocket. Reared up about what seemed 3 ft, opened its white mouth and gave me a look of hate that chilled and almost froze me. I about-faced and did the fastest 220 in my life. Didnt look back for a block. Only seen one other water moccasin that size and color since. It was dead in a picture on the net. BTW, I was carrying a 44 mag single action.

·
Registered
630 Posts
A buddy and I were handgun hunting blacktails on Kodiak Island one Fall when we decided to sit down and have lunch under a nice big spruce tree. We had a pretty good overview of a sloping grassy meadow below us, so between bites of sandwich I blew a few toots on the varmint call ans waited. Nothing.

We continued eating and glassing the slope, when suddenly we notice a forkedhorn sneaking around the trunk of the tree about ten feet away. We froze, and he couldn't decide what we were. My Contender was in my shoulder holster, so I set the sandwich down quickly and pulled the pistol. This was enough for the buck, he started to take off. A quick shot from the .300 Savage dropped him about fifteen feet away.

Good thing he wasn't the big brownie we saw the next morning down the hill from the same tree...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I was about 30 years old, it involved a new BAR .338. I had just purchased it with money I barely had. I attemtped to sneak it in the house one night and my first wife almost caught me. That was a very close call. Since them I have grown older and don't try such risky manuevers. I just tell them!

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i nwas letting a crazy friend hold my 22.. he decides to shoot a mockingbird off a close line that was in front of a back porch..
i started wrestling jimmy for the gun an had it pulled up between his legs an just about had it pryed out of his hands.. the idiot pulled the trigger as it pointed strait into my eyes.. the first time daddys old squirlle gun ever misfired.. i put the rnd back in the chamber an it fired into a tree..
i got to know my god better that night as i mulled the possibilities over in my bed..daddy warned me about him ..you can bet i never even came close to being around him with a gun again.. it was a different time ,,an i may have been 10 or 11.. slim ..ps i have been shot but thats another story ,,involving a pit bull.i shouldn t tell that for ammusement as it weren t funny a bit..

·
Registered
601 Posts
A friend was calling predators one night using a mouth call and saw something out of the corner of his eye. He instinctively ducked, just in time to have a Great Horned owl take his hat off.
If he didn't duck in time, I can only wonder what that airborne tiger would have done to his face.

Kudu40

·
Banned
415 Posts
I guess about a month back, maybe second last week of November, I was out hunting whitetails. I saw a decent buck about 1/2 mile away, and I figured I'd see if I could kind of stalk around him to see him a bit better. After about an hour there was still no sign of him, and I was about 1 1/2 miles from my truck. I decided to do some coyote calling, and about 5 or 6 seconds into a nice woodpecker screech, the tiniest **** weasel I ever did see jumped off a log on my right (never even saw him there, he blended in with the snow behind the log so well), and right into my lap. Before I could even react he was nearly half way up my jacket. I tell you, I never jumped up so fast in my life. I batted at him twice before I actually hit him, bet he flew about 6 feet. Poor thing never knew what was up, but as soon as he hit the ground, his little legs were moving.

Since then I look around twice before I actually sit down to call.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NOT hunting, NOT mi story, but very funny...

August, 1965, Yellowstone. Had a good site asjacent to the Mens Room. Dad had just finished washing my sister's hair and we were surprised by a sow and 2 cubs walking toward the potty. Neighbor in campground had just occupied a stall in this privvy.

Sow woofs at her cubs and they climb a tree. She decides that whatever the scent in the privvy was was too good to pass up. Dad hollered that a bear was coming into the privvy. She gets the door open, saunters inside and soon through the high wall vent we see her head as she is looking over the stall.

Thankfully she lost interest and left, called her cubs and took off. Dad again called to the man to let him know the sow was gone. His reply was, "you wouldn't mind coming in here and saying that again, would you".

Dad went in and assured him that all was clear. I do remember him telling dad that He would probably not have to do that particular movement for a few days. Seems that he was pretty well CLEARED after that encounter.

·
Banned
674 Posts
That last one reminded me of my Aunt. Deer hunting at the hunting camp north of Rhinelander Wisconsin. The little outhouse was about 50' from the cabin. While she was in there and the rest of us were in the cabin playing cards and having our after supper snort there is a long stream of what I assume were bad words in Polish and German and my Aunt came into the cabin falling flat on her face. The red ring around her nether parts were a match for where she had just been sitting. A black bear had been nosing around the outhouse and bumping it. She hollered at it, it kept bumping the outhouse. She opened the door to see who was making the ruckus, saw the bear and made the 50' to the cabin with her pants around her ankles in record time. As far as I know that particular run had never been attempted by a short legged Polish Woman in the North Woods of Wisconsin before so the record stands as is.

Fortunately no bears were injured during the event.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That last one reminded me of my Aunt. Deer hunting at the hunting camp north of Rhinelander Wisconsin. The little outhouse was about 50' from the cabin. While she was in there and the rest of us were in the cabin playing cards and having our after supper snort there is a long stream of what I assume were bad words in Polish and German and my Aunt came into the cabin falling flat on her face. The red ring around her nether parts were a match for where she had just been sitting. A black bear had been nosing around the outhouse and bumping it. She hollered at it, it kept bumping the outhouse. She opened the door to see who was making the ruckus, saw the bear and made the 50' to the cabin with her pants around her ankles in record time. As far as I know that particular run had never been attempted by a short legged Polish Woman in the North Woods of Wisconsin before so the record stands as is.

Fortunately no bears were injured during the event.
Lol...that is a hilarious hunting story!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have had a few events that I would call a close calls. I will tell you about one. My dad, cousin, and I were hunting in the hill country of Tx.. We were traveling down a rock road on the lease in a truck. A buck jumped accross the road into a small patch of woods that made triangle in between two intersecting roads. My dad put me out and he and my cousin went to the intersection of the road, they were watching the right of ways. I entered the woods and could hear the deer close, but I could not see him. I took a few steps and then realized the deer was between me and other shooters. Nothing good could come out of this situation. I laid flat on the ground and crawled behing a big oak tree. I stayed there about 3 minutes and I heard a shot, so I figured the deer had gone I stood up and the buck was only about 5 feet from me, he hauled butt. I exited the woods back from where I entered. I learned that day that other shooters can create very dangerous situations. No shot was fired toward me, I realized the potentially deadly mistake we had made and did the best I could to get out of the situation.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Was sitting in a treestand 5 or 6 years ago when some kind of hawk flew into the woods and landed in a tree maybe 75 yards away. I love birds of prey, so I watched him for quite some time and it seemed like he was looking right at me, too. After five minutes or so I lost interest and was slowly looking around the woods to see if any deer might be heading my way. The only thing that kept that hawk from sinking his claws right into my head is that I happened to have my bow in my hand and instinctively thrust it out in front of me just in time! I can still remember the incredible fierceness that creature showed as he screamed and bounced off the top limb of my bow...or, was that ME screaming?! :)

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
ive never seen a more fierce look than a cooper hawk thats
after its prey or injured,in some way.. puts hollywood to shame for scary looks.. slim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts