Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an opportunity to acquire the beginnings of a 300 Blackout. It's just an upper. But I've already been thinking about this chambering for a close range coyote gun. In my neck of the woods shots will mostly be within 150 yards. I'm thinking 110 grain V-Max or Barnes XFB (or solid) as i am already set up for hand loading my own ammo.

What are your thoughts, opinions or experience with this cartridge for a close range varmint gun?

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
I would not due to BAD ricochets but that might not be a problem in your area.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 300BO but as stated above I would be worried about ricochets for using on coyotes. The light .308 varmint bullets don't explode at 300 BO velocities and make a pretty good deer bullet passing through without completely disintegrating. I imagine on a coyote they would almost pencil through with little expansion and might end up going a long way.

·
The Shadow
7,659 Posts
What are your thoughts, opinions or experience with this cartridge for a close range varmint gun?
Underwhelming.

It doesn't push varmint bullets fast enough to make them exciting to watch; and has the resulting rainbow trajectory (relatively speaking).
It absolutely works, no question. But it's as exciting as paying to watch pages flip to see a "movie".

Cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another fan of the 300blkout here, built one a few years back, still have it for limited use.

My opinion is, it is a GREAT short distance weapon with heavy projectiles at moderate speeds, but, my definition of short distances is less than 100 yards.

My suggestion is, look into the multitude of calibers available that are well known to excel with your choice of 110 grain bullets.

Reactions: GeronPG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few good points I hadn't thought about, thanks. Maybe I will grab it and swap the barrel out to something different . . . ?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,897 Posts
110 Vmax's in a 300RUM are quite devastating, maybe an '06 or 308, but less than 3000 fps, no, probably not.

RJ

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sparky D, I'd encourage you to try it and find out for yourself. The people that actually have one and have hunted with them usually really like them. So try it - I wouldn't be surprised if you found the M4 platform to be really handy in the field, and that you like the lower noise and muzzle blast of the 300 BLK in the field compared to other cartridges. And if your gun is accurate - and a lot of them are - you can confidently hunt small to medium game out to 125 yds. With good placement, the coyote will be just as dead as if you'd shot him with a whiz-bang cartridge. I think you are thinking right in going on the light end for bullets, 110's or 125's.. At 300 BLK velocities, they may not expand violently, but IMO will still get the job done. I shot a small buck last year with a Nosler 125 BT, and a larger one this year with the 125 Accubond; both were pass-through. I don't know how much the bullet expanded, but there was plenty of internal damage, both ran about 25 yds. or less and dropped.. They weren't big, but they were 4-5x the size of a coyote.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
I've shot coyotes with a .41 mag and .30 Carbine and one with the .357 along with many jackrabbits. Almost invariably, they WILL run off, no doubt to die, but there is no whop-flop with low velocity rounds. A K-Hornet is much more effective at the same ranges.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
247 Posts
A few good points I hadn't thought about, thanks. Maybe I will grab it and swap the barrel out to something different . . . ?
Sounds like the best of both worlds,... put a box or two of 300blkout through that upper, if a no go, you have the easy option with the AR platform to go a different direction!!!

(y)

·
Registered
573 Posts
The soft 110 V-Max at 2500 fps isn’t a .41 Magnum nor a .30 carbine. I’ve used that bullet at 2400 fps out of a Herrett and it expands very well, dropping deer quickly. A higher velocity .223 etc. might kill a yote quicker....might.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Even at 2250-2300 fps (which is about what you can get with a 110 gr. out of the blackout), I have to think a coyote couldn't run very far if punched through the ribcage. Sparky D, try it and let us know how it goes.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,897 Posts
A 40 grain Vmax at 3200 fps from a 222 Rem. will not penetrate (no exit) a coyote at 40 yards and reliably kills them past 200.

I would still think a 110 at 2300 might ricochet, but I may be wrong.

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
I think we can agree that bullet selection and velocity determines performance on brother 'yote. They're as tough as house cats and don't just lay down when hit wrongly.

This was one of three killed on that deer carcass, two within 15 feet of each other and maybe 30 seconds apart. This one was rearing back trying to tear off a piece of rib meat. He was hit with a 55 gr. Nosler 6mm Ballistic Tip that started at 3350. Range was 235 yards. Entry was dead center the right shoulder, no exit, soup in the middle. I consider it a perfect shot and bullet performance. I wish they all could be as good!

Attachments

Reactions: GeronPG

·
The Shadow
7,659 Posts
Hope you didn't take that implied it wouldn't anchor a coyote, simply that it's not "spectacular" at it.

Spectacular, is a 75gr Vmax launched at full house 25-06 velocity, or a 58gr from a 243 at warp speed. When large portions of coyote real estate launch, you never wonder if you hit them.

Cheers

Reactions: JBelk

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,415 Posts
Don't need velocity, .35 Rem works fine on coyotes too, tips them right over.... but you darn sure want to be certain you have a good backstop. I doubt that 200gr. RN bullets slow down much, at all.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
FWIW, the Speer 125 TNT is designed as a varmint bullet, supposedly expands pretty quickly and violently, at least at 308 or 30-06 velocities; maybe not so much at Blackout velocities. I haven't shot game with it, but it shoots accurately out of my Blackout. The Nosler 125 Ballistic tip and the Speer 130 HP are worth a look, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts