Shooters Forum banner

cloths for cold weather

5K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  MMichaelAK 
I haven't yet found anything better - at least for underlayers - than Icebreaker wool. Icebreaker comes in many different weights depending upon temps. This isn't your std wool...very nice against the skin and not 'scratchy' at all. It's not cheap, but it is good stuff and effective. Wool keeps you warm even when wet. Polypro is good, but sure stinks!

I usually follow up the Icebreaker with a Pendleton wool button-down shirt. On top of that, a Filson or Woolrich vest. Sometimes the vest gets shed in the heat of the hunt, sometimes not.

For wind or really cold, a windproof/water-repellent outer shell tops all this off.

Your expected exertion level sure factors into your choices here. I have a heavy Cabelas Dry Plus jacket with hood that is wool outer, poly insulation and liner. It is great for ice fishing where there is little exertion, but I would NEVER consider wearing it for an elk or muley hunt other than on a horse ride out where I would begin hunting. Likewise, your footware for a stand hunt will be far different than that for a hard hiking hunt. Layers are the key to most situations, but the type of activity you are involved in points you to the type of layers needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.