Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 30 years using my old reliable Rockchucker press, I succumed to an older Co-Ax press off of EBay.

Looks just as bulletproof as the Rockchucker. I was reading the instruction manual and realized that they recommend their brand of die lock rings. I load for over 30 calibers and while I don't intend to get rid of the Rockchucker press, I don't plan to convert all my loading to the Co-Ax press.

I am seeking users experiences with this press. Any tips you can pass on will be appreciated. Also, what about the lock rings? Absolutely necessary? If so do you have a good source for the lock rings, factory or aftermarket?

Thanks for your assistance.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,956 Posts
I have the Bonanza Co-Ax.

The Bonanza lock rings are a nice addition, but not absolutely required. The Lee lock rings that have the "O" ring on the underside work quite well, also. The problem you will run into with the rings supplied by the die makers will be a too small OD for the lock screw to secure, plus being made out of steel. There is a round ball and spring under the lock screw to set down on the ring to keep it in place. It actually detents the softer alloy Bonanza ring. If you can find the alloy rings which the older die sets had, you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have a Co-Ax press and I've never used the Co-ax rings

With few exceptions all of my dies came with rings that work well with my co-ax press, so I never felt the need to order in special rings.
Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
All round rings seem to work (Forster, Redding, old RCBS). I've heard of some also using the half-flat, half-round Hornady rings, as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Co-ax press and die fit

RSY said:
All round rings seem to work (Forster, Redding, old RCBS). I've heard of some also using the half-flat, half-round Hornady rings, as well.
I've had a Co-ax press for over 20 years, and use all types of dies. They all work, it;s just that some "float" more than others. The design highpoint of the Co-ax press is that you get float to self align the die to the case. The press is slotted to slide the die in-and-out to and away from you, and the shellholder is sppring loaded right-and-left. Between the two floats your die and the case that you are processing align themselves without misalignment. In a Rockchucker type press the float is govened by the tolerances between the case manufaturing tolerances and those of the shellholder, and ram. In the Co-ax when you use a die whos lockring is thinner and or smaller in diameter than a Bonanza lock you just get easier an more "float" in the die instalation slot. Remember, when you run the ram to its top most position to size, seat, bell, or whatever, you automaticly take all of the "slop" out of the float. You do have to take a bit more time to line the case and die up with care when you preform your operation. The die lockring just moves to the top of the notch for it in the press. I'd rather have a Co-ax press than a turret press. The dies just slide in and out easily in the same slot all of the time. As an aside: Lee lock rings stink on any press, and I always throw them away and substitute Hornady or Bonanza rings. Hornady's New Dimension lockrings work great in the Co-ax press. I know that many consider them "cheap" dies, but I think they are great. Just use two openend wrenches to set the decaping stem and lock it. With other dies you pay extra to get a floatiing seater.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Co-ax press and die fit

RSY said:
I've had a Co-ax press for over 20 years, and use all types of dies. They all work, it;s just that some "float" more than others. The design highpoint of the Co-ax press is that you get float to selfalign the die to the case. The press is slotted to slide the die in-and-out to and away from you, and the shellholder is sppring loaded right-and-left. Between the two floats your die and the case that you are processing align themselves without misalignment. In a Rockchucker type press the float is govened by the tolerances between the case manufaturing tolerances and those of the shellholder, and ram. In the Co-ax when you use a die whos lockring is thinner and or smaller in diameter than a Bonanza lock you just get easier an more "float" in the die instalation slot. Remember, when you run the ram to its top most position to size, seat, bell, or whatever, you automaticly take all of the "slop" out of the float. You do have to take a bit more time to line the case and die up with care when you preform your operation. The die lockring just moves to the top of the notch for it in the press. I'd rather have a Co-ax press than a turret press. The dies just slide in and out easily in the same slot all of the time. As an aside: Lee lock rings stink on any press, and I always throw them away and substitute Hornady or Bonanza rings. Hornady's New Dimension lockrings work great in the Co-ax press. I know that many consider them "cheap" dies, but I think they are great. Just use two openend wrenches to set the decaping stem and lock it. With other dies you pay extra to get a floatiing seater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts