Shooters Forum banner

Coastal Bull - 09

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Crusty Ol'Coot 
#1 ·
This is my first Bull elk, got it opening day of first season in 09, 2 hours later than the Bull i got opening day this year. was a 20-25 yd shot with .338 WM using 225 gr nosler partitions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fast shooting!

Maybe if you waited just a little longer you would be bragging about how big the bull was instead of how fast you shot it! :rolleyes:

I saw several bulls in the back of pickups about noon on the 19th of November as I drove from Hillsboro to Tillamook on the Wilson river Hwy. That was the opening of the second session of coastal elk hunting in Oregon. I know a lot of guys can only hunt weekends but really! :confused:There are better bulls in those mountains than what I see in the trucks at noon.

After you shot it from 20 yards did you hear the bigger bulls running away or were your ears ringing from the cannon?:eek:

GD

#4 · (Edited)
Maybe if you waited just a little longer you would be bragging about how big the bull was instead of how fast you shot it! :rolleyes:

I saw several bulls in the back of pickups about noon on the 19th of November as I drove from Hillsboro to Tillamook on the Wilson river Hwy. That was the opening of the second session of coastal elk hunting in Oregon. I know a lot of guys can only hunt weekends but really! :confused:There are better bulls in those mountains than what I see in the trucks at noon.

After you shot it from 20 yards did you hear the bigger bulls running away or were your ears ringing from the cannon?:eek:

GD
Most guys around here are happy to fill there tags, we do have only 15 bulls for every 100 cows. Guess what, if i see a spike opening day next year, 2 minutes into daylight, I am gonna drop the hammer, far more tender than the little raghorn i shot this year. When hunter success statewide is 13%, i will feel fortunate to have punched my tag.. especially with a 4 day 1st season. you can go ahead and post pics of all the big mature roosevelt elk you have taken in western oregon.

p.s Actually after the shot i had a 4x3 run past me with the herd, id do things the same way again. guess im not exactly a trophy hunter.

#3 ·
For someone whose tag line says to "think a good thought", you sure didn't think your reply through very well! He said it was his first bull elk...are you really so condescending that you'll criticize him for shooting a spike, on public land? What did your first deer or elk look like? I'm sure it was a monster, trophy animal that you submitted to Boone and Crockett... :rolleyes:

BarkBuster, that bull is something to be proud of, and I'm sure you are. It's way bigger than any elk I've ever shot, (cuz I never shot one!) though I hope to change that, someday. :) About the only negative comment I could make is on the quality of picture...but we've been 'round that topic before. :p

#5 ·
Hey, i thought it was one of my better photos, in my defense, i truley could not position him better, he was twisted so weird, and was too heavy too roll over by myself the way he was sitting. I do think one of the next things on my list is a good camera though, i will modify if needed so i can use tripod for the binos on the camera too.

Wonder what that guy would say if he knew my first elk was a cow :D

#8 · (Edited)
those old grizzled bulls are better on the wall than on the plate. Nothing wrong with being a meat hunter not a bone hunter. that goes for deer too. I would have done the exact same. If you have all the time, money and don't care about filling the freezer you get to be more selective but that isn't me either. those spike antlers make good custom knife handles too. Good hunting. I'm in the same boat with sub par camera. it used to work much better but a couple of years of hard use in the woods with SAR will kill a non-waterproof camera even if you are careful. My next one will be a waterproof model. it is worth the extra coin to have it work when you have a pic like this to take.

#9 ·
Next year I will have a couple hundred feet of parachute cord, and maybe a ratchet strap. Sure would make re-positioning them for a photo real easy, not to mention dressing the animal. Maybe someday, if i ever become an "expert" elk hunter, I may be able to be more selective, and still put meat in the freezer.

#10 ·
Any elk with my tag on it is a good elk, ANY ELK!!!!!!!

Now, I would sure like a big bragg'in bull, but if given the chance for a legal elk, bull or cow, I am not likely to pass on that shot.

I like deer meat, Moose if I can get my once in a life time cow permit - already have my bull - the moose is also very good, maybe a bit chewy, but elk is premo!!!!!!!!

Make it a legal elk and I'm good to go! :):p;):D

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.