Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coldfingers and his son, Travis, have been camped on the backside of our ranch the past few days and I checked on them this morning. They are having a wonderful father-and-son time in the badlands but the mule deer have thus far eluded them. They have shot and eaten two cottontails, however. This evening our home church meets and they are coming out of the hills for worship and fellowship.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,216 Posts
Tell Scotty hello for us, hadn't heard from him in a while and was concerned that he had frozen something important off out there in the wilds of Alaska....

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Yeah, tell 'im fellow Alaskan sends his best, and was afraid he had ill luck during the earthquake. Glad to hear he's enjoying himself and taking time out with his son. Course, he'd have much more fun if'n he'd get 'im a muley. Tell him I said good luck to him and his son, hope they get an ol' big'un.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scotty and Travis just left. We had a powerful time with the Lord tonight and Scotty was glad for the reprise. As for hunting, he got within 30 yards of a doe in the badlands (he also has a doe tag but Travis is a Montana resident and can take a buck) but he got "buck" fever and couldn't steady his Smith and Wesson. So, we all know Scotgty would be the one to get buck fever aiming at a doe!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Talk about a lesson in humility! I ruefully admit that the Sunday Creek mulies got won both rounds of the father/son badlands camping expidition.

Before the li...er, uh story continues, I wish to thank Sunday Creek for his hospitality that made for a great time for Travis and myself. My son and I had been estranged for years and our "hunt" was a much needed time of solitude and healing. We chummed around like long lost buddies and carried on so much that it is a wonder that there are any deer in Southeast Montana!! The ranch was beutifull and the badlands were so different than anything I have seen that I spent way too much time looking for rocks and plants and not paying attention to hunting.

When I had my first oportunity, I got so shakey (I blamed it on the altitude) that I did not even attempt a shot.

After spending time with Sunday at his home fellowship, I called home to talk to my wife who informed me that the furnace had gone out and my truck was in rebellion to the point of not being drivable. We had to cut our time short so I could return to Helena for an earlier flight.

The morning before we left, I took one more little hike through a little pocket of rocks and spotted a doe feeding. I made a very good stalk and got within a range that would have been good with my S&W .22 Kit gun. I unlimbered the .45 Mountain Gun and mmmmmmmm...mmmmmmm....mmmmmmmiiiisss...

dang, I cannot even say the word...

In hindsight I believe I jerked the trigger and pulled up and left putting the shot over the deers shoulder.

I also must tell you that it was a small deer (a VERY small deer I might add!) and it was my unconcious consience that kicked in to spare it it's life 8*)
I spent a couple of hours looking for sign that a miricle had happened but to no avail. No matter how hard you look, if you did not hit it, you probably will not find it.

My son did take a deer on the way home with his Marlin 45/70. It also was a small deer but it was so tasty that I am now truely regretting my poor shot!

I have no regrets about the time spent with my son and am looking foreward to hunting with him in the future.

This little trip saw the fulfillment of the scripture that God would restore the hearts of the sons to the fathers, and the fathers to the sons.

Glory to the Risen Lord!

Scotty

·
36,216 Posts
Scotty,

Good to see you back. I'll relate a passage from a Peter Capstick book, where one of his clients missed an ELEPHANT at short range. Allegedly, the client's good-natured response was:

"That's what conservation is all about!"

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scotty - It was great having you and Travis here and while our home group might have been a little wild for Travis I had one great eye contact with him that evening and I think he is a super young man. Glad you enjoyed the beauty of the badlands and that our ranch was able to minister to you and your son. For many years one of the guiding scriptures behind our ranch ministry has been:

"Behold, I send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord and he will restore the hearts of the fathers to the children and the children to the fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse."

I do find it ironic that a famous moose-slayer from Alaska would come this far to eat bunny rabbits!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Mike,

LOL!!! I told Sunday's home fellowship group that I was into catch and release hunting...

Since they were such nice folks they did not call me a liar!

I do not know for sure HOW I missed, but I sure did.

I think that much like my early archery days it was a combination of looking (aiming) at the whole animal instead of picking a small spot and not being totally focused on the physical dynamics of the shot itself (trigger squeeze, breath control, etc) which I am sure was the result of the close proximity to the small elephant and overconfidence on my part. I should have used a rock!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sunday,

Those were the best bunnies I have eaten in a long time. I figgure they were worth the eight hundred bucks a pound when I factor in the dining facilites and the company.

Scotty

·
Registered
516 Posts
Scotty - Sounds like you had a great trip to Sunday's. Don't worry about that missed shot, sometimes they make better memories than the ones that connect. However, I am a little concerned about your judgement in another matter. Don't you know that if you're having a good time on vacation (particularly a hunting trip), you should never call home. See ya,

·
36,216 Posts
Or better yet, go on vacation where there are no phones, so no one can call you!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
You guys have no idea of my wife's tracking abilities! It would not have done any good to attempt to avoid "the eye" even from long distance;*)

She actually held the fort down quite well and could have done so longer if I had been unable to tear myself away. For a gal who came to Alaska from New Yawk City, she adapted with the tenacity of a Coyote. Staying on her good side is one of my prime objectives!

My visit to John's was a highlight of life. I will attempt to go back someday. Hopefully Sunday can make his way north one day also, we have a few wolves that need killin 8*)

I spent today with the longbow attempting to stalk a small bull through snow that had a frozen crust on it from an icestorm...like walking on Rice Crispies. Needless to say, the last day of our Archery Season was mooseless. Thank God for roadkill.

All my best,

Scotty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts