1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
45 trapper  
Posted by norville
Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:31
Will my Win94 Trapper handle 335gr gas check cast performance bullet over 23grains H110. I saw this load on Beartooth but it was over 24grs of H110 @ 1250fps out of a ruger. Any Ideas or should I drop down to 22grs? I'd like to try this on black bear.I'm also looking for a deer load with 265's. I love this rifle with 300gr sierra fn and 300gr xtp's. Both shoot like a rope at 100yds. I'm even using cowboy loads for small game.

thanks
norville

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot this bullet out of a Trapper with 22 gr of H110 for 1555 fps with no pressure signs and outstanding accuracy. It will regularly keep 3 shots around an 1" with peep sights and recently I shot a 4 shot 5/8" group with the 5th shot opening it up to a little over and inch. My only game experience with this load was a 1.5 year old buck feeding away at about 50 yds. The bullet entered below his "rear bullseye" and broke his neck on exiting. Penetration through and through.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
Only way to know what your rifle will take is to start low and work up.  I'd personally start at about 20 grains with the 335gr bullet and go from there.  Powder lots do vary somewhat.  As no expansion is really necessary, I'd just stick with whatever load ended up being the most accurate, and not worry about whether it was the top end or not.

Deer load?  The 335 will do for Bambi very nicely, however so would nearly any other bullet weight.  Thumb through several current loading manuals, most of them have sections of "Ruger - T/C only" loads for the .45 Colt and these should all be OK in your trapper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to the range yesterday with the 335 loads I worked up. All loads grouped great. The 23 grain load held 1" group at 100yds with open factory sites! It's scary how great this shoots. Is there any way to smooth out the action. It's a bit chunky compaired to the rossi 92 and the marlin.

norville

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
You need to put a scope on that gun and enter the next benchrest match you can find!  That would sure annoy anyone who has spend several thousand dollars on a benchrest rig when the guy next to him is shooting a lever gun!

Great results.  This would also be suitable for varmit hunting, if you could line up 30 or 40 prarie dogs in a row it would be very economical per shot also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts