Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased 2 guns, Colt Cowboy and a Winchester 94 in 45 colt. Asking for help again. I also have a Ruger Vaquero in 45 colt.  What I'm looking for is the best load for cowboy shooting around 800-900fps.  I have a Hornady 255fp load with 7.0gr unique and out of my Vaquero this gives me about 650fps. Can I safely go higher on the Unique to reach 800fps. in my Colt Cowboy? I know the Colt Cowboy is not as strong as the Ruger, But it seems 8grs. Would be ok. Now out of my Winchester 94 would this put my bullet above the 1000fps. thats allowed in Cowboy shooting?  Do I need 2 different loads or maybe even 3 for the different firearms?  I was looking to stay with one load for all three. Is that poss.  As some of you prob. heard me say before the reloading manuals do not cover this aspect.  Is ther a Cowboy shooting loading manual out there or is that too much to ask for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello Joe454. I wish you much success with Cowboy Shooting. Is your Winchester 94 ...45 L.C. the Trails End? What type of accuracy are you getting? Are you having any problems with some catridges feeding properly? I have been told that the 94s are really finicky about which cartridges they like to feed smoothly. Seems that most find Cor-bon and PMC to feed reliably, but Winchester's own cowboy loads tend to jam due to the shape of the lead. What is your experience?

Regards,
Timberwolf

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
I thought that Hodgdon had a 'Cowboy Action' section in their freebie load book.  This would be a good place to start.

Your Colt should be fine with any SAAMI-spec load for the .45 Colt, which if I recall should go to 800-900 fps for a 255gr bullet without any trouble.  I think that 8 gr. of Unique is a pretty classic load with this bullet weight.

Personally, for reduced CAS loads I would go with Titegroup, based on my experience.  But I don't shoot CAS and perhaps some other members have more relevant advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For my .45 colt cowboy loads I use 4.7gn IMR 700x, 250gn RNFP, WLP primers. This is a soft accurate load out of rifles and revolvers and is very clean burning.

·
Banned
739 Posts
TIMBERWOLF,
Just a brief comment. I have an early 94 AE Trapper .45 Colt w/o the safety.
It has NEVER hung up on anything I have fed it. I have shot:
200GR Lyman SWC's all the way up to Corbon 300gr JSP's and most everything in between.
Close to 3000 rounds so far.
I moved to IL three years ago and this has has two effects.
One; I'm now connected to the internet. Boy have I learned a lot!!!!!
Two; I have no place to shoot a long gun. I have two indoor ranges close that will allow handgun caliber rifles, but at only 25 yards.
So I am learning and waiting till I can move back to Arizona.
Soon, please Lord!!???

Every gun is an individual. I guess I got a good one.

Brief huh? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts