Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 I have a Colt lg. frame lightning pump rifle in 40-60-260. I believe that this is the same as the 40-65 WCF. This one is well used, no finish to speak of, but mechanically very good. The bore is also very good. How strong is this action? I would like to use this one to hunt pigs and deer; at reasonable range ,of course. Any info will help. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
in the january issue of Shooting Times,  Mike Venturino has an article on the Colt Lightning, though his rifle was in 38-40, you might still find it interesting...gut

·
Registered
59 Posts
The .40-60 Marlin and .40-65 WCF are interchangeable. The .40-60 WCF is a different cartridge with different dimensions. Verify your chambering then e-mail me for loading data. The Colt Lightning rifle is suitable for light smokeless loads as long as it is in good working order.
Dave

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Mike:
   Just to confuse things a bit more, the 8th edition of Cartridges of the World lists a .40-60 Colt, which is almost idwntical to the .40-6O Marlin. It has a slight shoulder and is not listed in the 7th Edition.  McPherson is almost certain the .40-60 Marlin & .40-65 Winchester would chamber and fire. And yes, the .40-60 Winchester is a different cartridge.

Here's a link to dimensions of over 1300 cartridges.
http://www.fireflysoft.com/FSoft/

Ken Waters does the .40-65 Winchester in his Pet Loads article in the December 2001 issue of Handloader Magazine. It should be on the stands now. He only has data for two bullets, an AFSCO and a DKT, both jacketed. He thinks the AFSCO is out of production and the DKT is &#36&#36&#36&#36. There's one from Hawk too (&#36&#36&#36&#36). Cast bullets like the Lyman 403169 or the Redding-SAECO 576 would be my choice since they'd be easier on that old barrel.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
556 Posts
DKT is out of business, too, though you may be able to get some unsold stocks out of Old Western Scrounger or a shop like them.

Neat gun.  You might want to fireform the WCF's before real loading?

Charlie

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
   Thanks for all the help, guys. I will stay away from jacketed bullets in this old bbl. So far, I haven't even acquired dies or brass, but will soon. I'm still having great fun with the 38-56. Loading these old cartridges is way too expensive; so one at a time will have to do for now. much obliged. Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have acquired an 1886 medium frame 44wcf. I am familiar with the loading/clambering procedure except for one detail
With the hammer placed in the half cock safety position the action locks, and the slide cannot be operated. With the hammer then pulled back into the full cock position,the rifle can be fired by pulling the trigger or if the user so wishes can cycle the action (without touching the trigger) as the slide unlocks which facilitates unloading the magazine by ejecting any remaining rounds. I have heard anecdotally that with the hammer at full cock the action cannot be cycled until fired. This would certainly make it a pain to empty the magazine. Any feedback from you original medium frame owners. Note: retro’s may not function identically to the originals.

·
Registered
11,952 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum!
John where did you find that old thread? Did a search for it and nothing came up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts