Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for some help, but here is my question. I recently bought a Colt OM Target, 38sp, 3rd issue, serial number 600XXX, with King sights. The gun seems to function normally (dry firing only, not yet been to the range) except the hammer doesn't cock back (single action) as far as with my other colt officer model. I've attached a picture of two hammers, left is from OM with normal action (this is what I am used to seeing). Right side hammer is from my new OM and it looks very different than other colt hammers.

Can you advise me if the hammer on the right is a factory colt hammer, or maybe this was modified?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Wood

Brown Plant Wood Creative arts Fawn

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Most likely OEM. Colt swapped many parts between guns and used the same frame on a wide variety of named models I've got a first model Officer's Model Match but in 22 LR. Different hammer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you. Would you happen to know if this "short throw" hammer I'm explaining is just different terminology for the "single action" hammer Colt used in the 1930s on some of these Officer Models?

I've read Colt (and/or King) modified some 1930s Officers Models for Single Action only and I don't know if that is what I have.

Appreciate your time.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I really don't know for sure. The shop had a King's Conversion short throw for a while. I remember it as SA only and the hammer was at full cock about 3/4 as far back as normal but I never got a chance to see inside it.

Edit to add-- The right hammer has a block in the SA sear. With a knifepoint or scribe, scratch the seam between the two parts. I suspect you'll see a bright but pale gold color which is silver solder. I assume the SA sear notch is cut in that new piece? That is an altered hammer, but it still has the DA sear in it (big leaf at the front). I can't quite see what the alteration has done, but the piece is meant to stay there and take pressure from the bottom just like the SA sear should.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I'm adding to the thread to bring it back to the OP's attention because there's been an important edit but that doesn't re-notify of an answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts