Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any info on this hand gun? It's a colt says police positive on the barrel which is about 3 inches long. On the frame between cylinder arm is stamped 5874. Also has a vp 3 on trigger guard area. It fires a 22 long riffle shell 6 shot revolver. Adjustable rear sights black hard plastic I think grips with colt logo. And the colt pony stamp on right side below the trigger. Gun looks good with little holster wear at barrel tip. But seems like the blue is intact. Any info on when where how and value would be nice. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The serial number places your Colt's birth in 1911.

I think that that should be a Police Positive Target, available only with a 6" barrel. Though I suppose that Special Orders were available from the factory, and post-factory alterations certainly were.

Colt places that serial number as both the "G" and "C" model gun, but I think it should be strictly a Model "G". G's were built on the.32-Frame while the C's were built on the heavier .38-Frame.

If you want to get serious about the origins and history you will probably need to invest in some books and research the designs, design changes and factory offerings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You Sir, with all due respect are one lucky *** as I for one would give a serious body part in trade for that pistol. Well done. Would you share exactly how it came your way? Always love a story with a happy ending!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts