Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, just saw where Colt is reintroducing an enhanced Python, with an MSRP of $1499.
IIRC, the originals had a bore diameter of .355" (correct me if wrong), I didn't see any comment on the bore diameter in what I read, only that it would be a 14" left hand twist.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I like everything about the new Colt Python except for the price. Those of us who are "working class" including myself, might look around for a S&W model 686.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I like everything about the new Colt Python except for the price. Those of us who are "working class" including myself, might look around for a S&W model 686.
A model 686 is literally half the price. They range from $700-900. $700-750 will get you a standard model. The performance center models run around $800-900. I think I gave like $770 out the door for my last 686+ 4”!

If colt can prove they’re really a high performance revolver I might bite but I doubt it! Their current price is in line with big bore custom revolvers almost! I can get a nice Performance center S&w 629 hunter in .44 mag for $1100-1200!

Now if they bring back an anaconda... I might be willing to drop $1400 on that!

I think they’re mostly trying to bank on the name. They know that older snake guns, especially the python and anaconda, fetch a ridiculous premium on the used market. I’m sure the actual MSRP of the python should have been around $1k or so. The extra $400 is because it’s a “python!”

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, just saw where Colt is reintroducing an enhanced Python, with an MSRP of $1499.
:eek:

Half the cost of my 2018 cow elk hunt in WY.

Then, would it shoot twice as well as my GP100? (Not likely).

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,433 Posts
The finish on the old Colt python and anaconda was second to none. Beautiful pieces but the price was always out of my league. Now I have a Rehawk and two GP100's and I'm not looking back. I feel (having shot both a python and anaconda) that Rugers can be tuned to shoot every bit as well.

RJ

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its not a python... Its just a NAME.

Like calling the current thing called Camaro a Camaro like it was back in the 1960s

Id rather have a Taurus revolver then this fauxthon..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Colt has always been a tier above, or at least believed to be. Why would they try to compete with Ruger or S&W? S&W has cheapened theirs to the point that there is nothing to gain over a Ruger. Why would Colt follow suit?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
A beautiful, special, all-American revolver. I can't see myself owning one at the price - I'm just glad the Python is back in production. MAGA!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow....that is pretty incredible.

Joel
Yeah, that's kinda like (just on a smaller scale) the guy that just paid, at auction, $3 Mil. for a $100 K mid engine Corvette for 'the privilege' of owning serial number 1. It will never be driven, and maybe his heirs will someday recognize a profit, but.......money notwithstanding, if I buy a gun or a vehicle, I'm gonna shoot it or drive it, and let the depreciation begin!;):D

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Colt has always been a tier above, or at least believed to be.
Perception is reality :)

Like relativity, it's a function of point of view or perspective.

My buddy has a Python, he never shoots it when we get together, as my GP100 always trashes his favorite toy. So does my ancient three screw.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,772 Posts
Had one as my duty gun back in the late -60's as an LEO. When the dept. switched to the S&W Mod 66, sold the Python for $300; A really regretful sale.

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Colt has always been a tier above, or at least believed to be. Why would they try to compete with Ruger or S&W? S&W has cheapened theirs to the point that there is nothing to gain over a Ruger. Why would Colt follow suit?

There was a time that all Python's made a final stop through Colts custom shop for hand polishing of all the working parts. They quit doing that sometime in the early 80's (I think). That was about the same time that Smith & Wesson started having quality control issues. Ruger made it through that era untouched by some of the other makers issues.

Joel

·
Registered
534 Posts
Perception is reality :)

Like relativity, it's a function of point of view or perspective.

My buddy has a Python, he never shoots it when we get together, as my GP100 always trashes his favorite toy. So does my ancient three screw.
I don't understand owning something you think is "too nice" to use. "Too collectible" I understand. I have guns that cost a lot more than older Pythons and are far nicer, that I have never hesitated to shoot, hunt with or slide into a holster. IMHO, they cost too much NOT to use them with impunity.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Its a cool gun, but I dont know if its cool enough for me to spend that much cash. Not when I can get something that works just fine (or better than just fine) for half the price.

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Old Colt DAs were all of the 'Python' type, 'slip-by' action, but the Python had 'extra' interior finishing which gave them an extremely smooth action. The Lawman Mark III started the 'direct leverage' actions which can be made to print and guaranteed not only to fit but also to work correctly. Assemblers can be hired off the street. There are no more hand-fitted actions because there are no hand fitters left!

There are millions of 'Python-type' Colt revolvers out there that aren't Pythons, but they work the same and are a joy to own.
I have an old Officer's Model Match .22 LR and nearly mechanically new, but 90 years carried, Official Police cop gun with 90% blue but only 30% grip checkering left.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Old Colt DAs were all of the 'Python' type, 'slip-by' action, but the Python had 'extra' interior finishing which gave them an extremely smooth action. The Lawman Mark III started the 'direct leverage' actions which can be made to print and guaranteed not only to fit but also to work correctly. Assemblers can be hired off the street. There are no more hand-fitted actions because there are no hand fitters left!

There are millions of 'Python-type' Colt revolvers out there that aren't Pythons, but they work the same and are a joy to own.
I have an old Officer's Model Match .22 LR and nearly mechanically new, but 90 years carried, Official Police cop gun with 90% blue but only 30% grip checkering left.
I couldn't agree more, my 4" 38 Special Trooper from the mid 1950's is built on the same frame size as the Python. I don't know if any 'hand work' was done on the 'lesser Pythons' :)D), but this thing is very smooth and has an excellent single action trigger.

P.S. When it wears the Python grips, it don't make it a Python (it does think it is, though!), but it does make it 'purttier'. Now, if I could only put a vent rib on it!;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts