Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After resizing 44-40 ammo and loading them, I'm finding out that about half of them will not completely make a full rotation in the cylinder. They hang-up on the rim of the case just as it goes into battery to be fired. I have to put the gun on half cock and remove the cylinder to remove the live shell. I notice that there is a slight scuff mark on the base of the case where it get hung up, apparently against the recoil shield of the gun..When examining the gun, there does not seem to be any high spots on the recoil shield? The gun is a colt SAA 3rd generation. Has anyone else encountered this problem and how did you fix it.

·
Super Moderator
14,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids. Other rules are in the forum stickies.

.44-40 has a very slight shoulder just below the bullet base. My first guess would be that you did not push it back far enough with your sizing die, so the case stopped on that shoulder in the chamber before the cartridge went all the way in. Does the rim ride a little higher in the chambers than the rims of cartridges that were not hanging up? Look for scuff marks on the case shoulder and neck area, too.

Also, is this brass new or commercial 44-40 brass? If it was formed from something else, check that the rim thickness does not exceed 0.065".

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
Drop your reloads into the chambers of your .44 WCF and note if the rims bottom in the chambers. Any high rims will drag against the recoil shield of your SAA. I don't know how much .44 WCF reloading you've done but when I started out, I had the same problem because when I seated bullets, I let the bullets seat off-centered. Since the brass at the casemouth is very thin, off-centering the bullets is easy to do and not very noticeable. You don't have this problem with straight-wall cases since they are thicker at the casemouth and help guide bullets being seated. If you have the same problem that I did, this is the cure, bullets have to be seated on-center. Suggest you look into the Hornady New Dimension die set for .44 WCF. They have a sleeve in their seater die which helps seat bullets on-center.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you using Magtec brass? I had trouble with the thick rims on these in my 1866 Uberti rifle. I am now using 44/40 Piettas as well, but have only used Winchester Brass in these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.