Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago my grandfathers/fathers Woodsman made its way to me. I loved shooting that gun when I was a kid and have been shooting it a lot recently. What a great pistol. it is in my estimation a handsome piece and mine is just a great shooter. the purpose of my post is just to offer this testimonial. If you run across a good Woodsman, buy it! You will not be sorry you did.:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
A Colt Woodsman is one of the top 20 handguns ever designed. Of course Johnatan Browning was the designer. Probably the first gun I would take in a survival situation if food percurement was the main purpose. All milled steel and walnut. No potmetal castings,plastic or stamped tin were used in its construction. Pure class.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My Daughter was living in SC a couple of years ago. She went shooting with a young man that had his Grandfathers woodsman. She loved to shoot that gun.
The Woodsman is hard to find and i am afraid the Browning Benchmark with a similar design is not it's equal. You are indeed fortunate to receive your Grandfathers

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I have a Woodsman, match target, series 3 that's just a safe queen.

i put one mag thru it, and cleaned it, then stowed it away. It's got the original box from '58 that says it cost $69.38

·
Registered
827 Posts
What a great gun, and what a great way to remember your Grandfather and Father. The Woodsman always looks so elegant to me, one thing about the "modern" guns, they just aren't as captivating.

Andy

·
Banned
605 Posts
Had a Colt Woodsman Match Target back in the 70's when I was shooting on the Ship's Pistol Team. Really nice. I learned how to shoot with that handgun. Ended up trading it off for a Colt's Govt Model 1911 National Match. LOL, wish I had BOTH back.

Reactions: BillyMagg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For crying out loud, Chris

i put one mag thru it, and cleaned it, then stowed it away. It's got the original box from '58 that says it cost $69.38
For $69.38 you can afford to shoot it more often! Over the past couple years, I've seen a few different Woodsman models at The Kittery Trading Post. I do like having a Good Colt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Woodsman is what Ruger wanted to be and it's way easier to take down. I had a very nice one, but, it got away from me when I was young and stupid. It's very high on my list of must haves, now. Your gun should be well cared for and cherished as an heirloom - because, that's what it is.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
For $69.38 you can afford to shoot it more often! Over the past couple years, I've seen a few different Woodsman models at The Kittery Trading Post. I do like having a Good Colt.

not the best pic, but a pic...

·
Registered
657 Posts

Pretty much the same thing, my FIL's Match Target series 3, bought about 1962 or so. Price was about $65, has original box, test target and instruction book. I don't shoot it, but Mrs Charley does. Mine is an Iver Johnson copy of the Woodsman. Accurate enough, but the MT beats it easily.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The Woodsman is what Ruger wanted to be and it's way easier to take down. I had a very nice one, but, it got away from me when I was young and stupid. It's very high on my list of must haves, now. Your gun should be well cared for and cherished as an heirloom - because, that's what it is.

No doubt the Colts are nice, and quite desirable. I don't think Ruger wanted to be a Colt though, WBR emphasized the working man and family in his designs, his Standard retailed for half what the Colt did )$32.50 in 1949, and the Ruger line is undoubtedly the most popular .22LR pistol ever made. Personally, I think the Ruger has always been a better looking pistol too.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
How can you NOT shoot it?:D
while the pic does not represent it well, the gun is near 99%. For me, it's just too collectable to shoot. Some day, if i part with it, it will be of more value due to the fact that I did not shoot it.

For .22 fun, i have a Buckmark
The sig mosquito
A Smith model 17.

Not steer this thread off track, but when it comes to another collectable Colt, I have an UNFIRED Colt Frontier scout, 125th anniversary of Colt edition. Came in a presentation case, complete with red velvet:D
And a secondary 22 magnum cylinder.

Ansel Adams I am not....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love .22 caliber handguns and have quite a few I am fond of but my favorite is an old Pre-War Woodsman (made in 1933) which has about all the finsh worn off.

It is the most handy and most accurate of any .22 handgun I own (but tied with a standard model Ruger with a 2x Scope up top in the accuracy department).

I note that U.S. Firearms will be making the Woodsman again. Not sure if it is the Pre-war or a Series 2 or 3. I have both Series 2 and 3 Woodsmans (Woodsmen?) in various barrel lengths and configurations but I have never found a better size than the pre-war.

Riposte

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Colt Woodsman (2nd Series). It still looks new. I love it. I let a fellow shoot it the other day, and he asked if I would consider selling in. I told him when he wins the powerball to come back and see me:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Colt Woodsman Help

I have two Colt match target pistols that were left to me by an uncle. These pistols are as new, no boxes and one is missing the clip. They have not been shot since the 60's and then only a few times. I just took them out to clean and start shooting again.
Last year I had a life altering experience (open heart surgery)and decided to start having some fun instead of working all the time.
I had no trouble taking one apart to clean following the directions in the manual but when I went to put it together something was not right . The slide will not close all the way there is a gap of about 1/8' I finally got it apart again and I was wondering if anyone could help me?
The only things I took apart was the slide.
When I put it together the first time I did not follow the sequence in the manual and didn't realise it until I read it again. I got it apart followed the instructions and it is stil doing doing the same thing. Its now apart again nothing was forced. There is not a gunsmith around that could help and I would like to get this done so I can shoot it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Woodsman, match target, series 3 and was wondering if anyone knows of any aftermarket sights for this wonderful firearm? I love the gun and feel that updated sights would greatly improve its performance, or should I say, my performance. Any direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Old thread but it seems at least one member is interested in resurrecting it so I'll play too. My Woodsman is a Sport Target model and it is the neatest, lightest little holster pistol in .22LR. In my stable is a Ruger MKI (yeah, old) Bull Barrel and a High standard Victor I've owned for 40 years. Both are more accurate than the little Colt but don't carry as nicely. The Colt is still plenty accurate for the trail.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts