Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland

Columba Palumbus- is more commonly known in the U.K as the Wood pigeon. We have millions of them ! They weigh about 1lb dressed, they are excellant to eat, best of all they are classed as "pests" so can be killed with out limit at any time of year !

They are also tend to live in flocks and during the winter the flocks can grow to many hundreds or even thousands in each flock. I have seen 2000 + lift off my uncles rape seed field in winter when the scare gun had failed, about 50 acres was eaten in half an hour and had to be re -sown.

To the shot gunner they are in "my" opinion the best and most rewarding and challeging quarry in Britain. They have excellant eye sight, which makes them hard to "decoy" often bags taken over decoys are normally only 3-4 ,6-8, often none !

My personal best was 100 shot in 4 hours in a pea field over decoys. The current British record i believe ie about 600 in one day ! As i said before they are pests and there are millions apon millions.

For me i value them above pheasent, grouse, partridge, in fact all game birds except wild duck and geese ,that gives you an idea of the brains the woodie has !
It can be very slow decoying a birds coming in only now and then other times you can't get the gun re-loaded fast enough ! This for me is the buzz fast in coming birds who will spook and turn in a split second IF you move that barrel a second to soon for the shot.

Wood pigeon syhooting is also widely available in the UK they are found every where all over Britain.
Oh-yes i nearly forgot not only are they excellant to eat, extremely challenging to shoot they are so pretty gentle shades of grey/blue and slight tinges of green and pink on the crop. The most obvious thing about the humble woodie is is pure white neck and wing bands ! You would think that a bird with white strips on it would stick out like a sore thumb, but amazingly they can diappear right before your eyes ! Another wonderful thing is the wood pigeons voice, a deep cooing. music to my ears.

I love these birds and every thing about them yet non hunters simply can not comprehend this.

Regards Englander

·
Banned
554 Posts
Mainer,

I suggest we trade Englander a day in good grouse coverts for a wood pigeon excursion.

Charlie

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Englander,
I don't have a clue about the British game fields.  I have heard a bit about driven pheasants and some about the Red Deer and Roe Deer but not much else.  It is really good hear the hunting and shooting sports on your side of the pond.  I, for one, would love to hear more.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
Sounds like shooting mourning doves in the U.S.  I believe that our doves are subspecies of pidgeon, although much smaller.

Yes they will humble you and I swear I've seen them dodge shot strings in flight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts