Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a hankering for a special kind of gun. The places I hunt usually offer all kinds of hunting opportunities. The problem is that I never seem to have the right gun for the job. Right now I have a dozen different guns, but I only want one. Here is my dream gun.

Start with side by side 12 gauge shotgun with choketubes in Cyl, IC, Mod, IMod and Full. Add to it a single barrel in .22LR above it and .30-06 below it. Give it a solid rib and 3/32" flattened brass bead at the end of 24" barrels for the shotgun and a flip-up aperture for the rifles (zeroed for 75yds for a 38gr HVHP load in .22LR and 250yds for a 180gr Partition in the .30-06). Add a matte 4x28mm scope with a duplex reticle in the 1st optical plain subtending 9 moa in a QD mount and stow it away in the buttstock until its needed. Finally, make the whole thing out of stainless steel and titanium with a carbon fiber/epoxy stock and give it a matte black titanium nitride finish. Keep the weight under 8lbs and the cost under $3,000 and you might be able to sell a few.

Of course, this kind of gun exists today but it is custom made in Europe, is made in chrome-moly steel and wood and weighs and costs considerably more. If I am not mistaken, prices start around $18,000 US. For anyone that is interested, the traditional term for a gun with 2 shotgun barrels and 2 rifle barrels is a "vierling".

What would your chamberings in a dream vierling be?

Best regards from the frosty Maritimes!

Kanuck

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Kanuck,
You are correct on the Vierling (4 barrel combination). Have seen two or three here in the big sporting store called Frankonica in Germany.
My ideal veirling would have interchangable choke tubes (never seen this opion on any drilling or veirling) in 3" 12ga, with rifle barrels in 223Rem and either 30-06 or 9.3x74.

There is also a variation of an over and under for the shotgun and side by side of the rifle tubes. Another would be 1 shotgun, 1 large rifle ie 9.3, medium cal 7x57R and 22rimfire or Hornet. You are right that they weigh a ton and cost more than I can count.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Combat Diver

Most of the drillings, zwillings and vierlings seem to be chambered in either a .22 centrefire or a fairly large bore, like the 9.3x74R. I am told they like to use the 22CF's for roh deer and carry .22LR adapters for smaller stuff. I don't think I have ever heard of one in .22LR but to me it makes tremendous sense. I don't think there is a region of North America where a 22LR wouldn't be useful for taking small game.

I am trying to figure out how the trigger mechanism, hammers and safety work on a vierling (maybe I'll build a relatively inexpensive North American versions someday!). Do you have any ideas that could help me make sense of this? Have you ever seen any patent drawings or similar information from manufacturers?

Kanuck

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is a nice article in Hartai times on these,and some real big bores made up for the African trade

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Kanuck,

I believe I might have something on the triggers or that I can get it from my Rod and Gun. Won't be til next week since I'm not home right now. As far as the 22s I believe that the majority would be 22 Magnum not Long Rifle. You're correct on them using 22CFs on Roh (Roe, sp) deer. Haven't seen 223Rem chambering in the combinations just 22 Hornet, 222Rem, 5.6x50(?,also known here as the Savage 22Hi-power).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts