Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use most in a .45ACP for practice, for competition, and for defense? I handload, but occasionally I will need to buy commercial/surplus due to time constraints. What do you think is the best buy for the money?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
As far as price goes, and a reasonable quality load and source of good brass, I buy some of the Remington/UMC yellow box when I see a good deal on a case of it. It's FMJ ammo that will feed in anything worth shooting. I've never used any factory ammunition of any kind for competitive shooting, unless it was a .22. Most of the surplus ammo features a crimped primer pocker, so you'll want to be aware of the extra labor in order to reload those casings. Some surplus is not reloadable. I've had good luck with the yellow box.

·
Banned
57 Posts
cci blazer

cci blazer ammo is made with metal cases,and come at good prices if not handloading.I have been buying surplus powder from jeff at gibrass.$80 delivered for 8 pounds,I make up a few hundred rounds and keep a nice supply of ammo handy.I feel my handloads are more accurate,and reliable than some factory stuff I have used.happy blasting.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
JP,
another though. If time constraints are your problem, you might want to lay out some cash for a progressive reloader. If I loaded .45's for 5 hours a week, I could make enough rounds to wear your gun out, literally, in less than 6 months. It would not matter what brand or make of .45 you're talking about. It would cease to function I don't anticipate you would/could want to load for 5 hours a week, I was just trying to make a point. Even at the prices of "discount" ammo, you could pay for a progressive that would easily keep you in ammo, in a few months time with no problem. Just a thought. Think Dillon Precision. I suggest the RL550B, or the 650 if it's in your budget.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kciH,
I am getting old, I had not even considered a progressive, but in the long run that is probably the best way to go. I will have to do that sometime this year, but until then, I still need to acquire a least a case or two of either factory or surplus ammo to tide me over. I appreciate your suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts