Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
So I work as a head of security for an organization that does large youth events, and we are branching out into more traveling and larger events in larger cities. I currently CC a Sig handgun which I am very happy with. However, with the increase in traveling and larger events, I would like to have a rifle available relatively quickly should it be needed- you know, more power/ rounds to supplement the handgun if, God forbid, I should need it. This being said, the ability to keep the rifle in a backpack/ messenger bag or otherwise hidden is imperative. No need in raising an alarm when not necessary. I have an AR and quite a few other rifles, but none of them fit the bill for this. I have seen no way to conceal a typical 16in barrel AR without a very large, conspicuous bag. I have considered an SBR in several different types of rifles, but due to time constraints and, of course, the paperwork and cost, I'm curious about other options.

I am welcome to any suggestions y'all may have, whether SBR or not. Anyone else in this situation or have any ideas for a rifle I can use? Thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,898 Posts
A Thompson Center Encore carbine can easily be broken down for small baggage carry and only needs the single hinge pin to to replaced to reassemble it. They come in a plethora of chamberings.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Haven't heard of that one before. I'll have to check it out.

Is that single shot? I remember Thompson Center having a single shot, but I can't remember if it's the Encore or not.

I'm looking more the semi-auto way, not single shot or bolt action.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Tc is a single shot.

You can get bullpup stocks for several semi auto rifles that brings their overall length way down, the stocks cost $150-300 depending on model and manufacture

If you are looking for ready to roll

FN f2000

steyr aug

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That FN is pretty sick, but expensive. Thanks for the input.

I'm considering something like a 16 inch Mini14 with a folding stock. Anyone have experience with one?

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The Mini14 Ranch rifle ai had was pure garbage inaccurate and unreliable, that was about 25 years ago-the quality is better nowdays.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tackle, I looked at a Beretta Carbine in my local pawn shop the other day- I have to agree, it is a good looking rifle, and the ability to carry one type of ammo is also nice.

I just wish it had a folding stock or something to make it slightly smaller. I know the design keeps it short, but it would still be hard to conceal as it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The biggest problem I foresee is that a rifle shooting handgun ammo is not going to give you significant range increase and wound lethality at longer ranges is not going to be effective. I just sold it but I just had a Marlin 357 Mag rifle and with 158 gr JSP handloads it printed 6" at 200 yards.

Marlin made (just a couple years ago) a 336 Spikehorn with 16" barrel and I was thinking of getting one for a back pack rifle. It was 34" long if I remember correctly but I have yet to find one.

I just built up a 1903A3 pack gun and rechambered/barreled it for 308. Barrel is 18" and OAL is 37". Stock I had was previosly cut off just in front of the action. I mounted a handgun scope up forward on the barrel with a low mount which allowed me to retain stripper clip loading capability. This rifle will print about 2" with military ammo at 100 yards which is not that great but since it was a take off barrel with lots of rounds on it the bore is not the best shape in the world but plenty good enough for defensive applications at up to 300 yards.

I have a two mile walking track across fields and through the woods around the house I walk every morning and started carrying the 03A3 about three weeks ago. Snakes, coyotes abound here. It is so light it is easy to carry and comfortable.

Resting on a sandbag I can hit 12" steel disc at 300 yards with it holding 6" high with 100 yard zero.

If I had to do what you require I would be making one up in 260 Remington and run 120 gr Matchking bullets in it and have a barrel about 16.5" long with some scope mounting system zeroed for 300 yards.

If you are not familiar a 03A3 can hold five in mag and one in chamber and has stripper clip loading capability. A good man with a 03 can get off ten rounds in 50 seconds and get 100% hits on E silhouette at 300 yards.

With a 16.5" barrel and 12" LOP the rifle could be reduced to about 33" OAL.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well, I shoot .45 LC in my carbine and my blackhawk. I typically get about 200 to 400 more FPS from the same round and it extends my range hunting out to almost 150 yards. There are many lever guns that have through the years been made in pistol cartridges also. Trust me, they don't act like the pistol at all. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts