Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed my Red Label collection with the acquisition of a 12 gauge with 28" barrels. I'm kind of a nut about Rugers and I really like the Red Labels. I started with a 20 gauge about a year and a half ago, and a 28 gauge last fall. I've been shooting quite a bit of Sporting Clays and Skeet and I'd like to shoot some more Trap too. I picked up a MEC 650 12 gauge reloader to go with my MEC Sizemaster 20 gauge. Its starting to look like quite an operation on my bench.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Congrats! I'm kinda a Ruger nut also, with 3 revolvers. I looked at the Red Label real close when I changed out my Beretta...for a Citori. I looked at the camo version that Ruger produced for a few years, but when I had the bucks, I couldn't find one, so I went with a John B. Truthfully, I wish someone would make a real strong SXS, model 21 being too rich for me!!! Beavertail forearm, single selective trigger, changeable chokes, 3in. and 3.5in chamber, chrome bores that are non-toxic shot approved....I think Tristar does, but fit is ....well, could be better. Take care, Terry

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've had one for many years, before screw in chokes were standard and its been my go to gun, a 20ga 3".

On this day geese were the last thing I expected or I'd have carried a 12 but the 20ga Ruger got the job done! Its as fine a gun as I'd want to own!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 20 gauge is just like that one, fixed chokes and a real pheasant machine!

I was wrong though, the 12 gauge actually has 30" barrels. So I have the three barrel lengths too, 26, 28, and 30.

On top of just liking Rugers, I appreciate the American made and the 100% NQA Warranty. If Brownings were American made, I'd probably have a few, I like their guns a lot.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Sweet, Rugers are great! Red Labels are worth the bucks to me too!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Current new retail is over $1400, I paid $900 or less for each of mine. They are good solid guns and they fit me pretty well.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I looked hard at the red label, and still wish for one in 28, but when push came to shove, I bought a Beretta white Onyx;
Primarily because it came left handed.

Congrat Matt, on the fine new purchase. Is that the one we spoke of?

you get tired of that 28, shout at me.....

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the lever push open the other way?

I recall you got a pretty good deal on that WO and I probably would have done the same.

Yea, it was the one we spoke of. The shop got in 2 more RLs, one all weather and one with 28" barrels.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Does the lever push open the other way?

I recall you got a pretty good deal on that WO and I probably would have done the same.

Yea, it was the one we spoke of. The shop got in 2 more RLs, one all weather and one with 28" barrels.
No, the lever opens the same, but you can surely see the cast on in the stock....really swings left at the heel.

You'll have to let us know if you can crush the clays the way you can with the 28.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the long 30" barrels I might be able to reach out and touch them! That 28 is a serious clay killer!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I looked hard at the red label, and still wish for one in 28, but when push came to shove, I bought a Beretta white Onyx;

WHAT CAN BE LEFT HANDED ABOUT A O/U SHOTGUN??????:confused: Is the stock bent for a lefthander? or????

I have a Red Label all Blue an early one from the early 80's w/fixed chokes-IC/M, 20ga, 26"bbls.....it points its self.....really nice gun but a bit heavy.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts

WHAT CAN BE LEFT HANDED ABOUT A O/U SHOTGUN??????:confused: Is the stock bent for a lefthander? or????

I have a Red Label all Blue an early one from the early 80's w/fixed chokes-IC/M, 20ga, 26"bbls.....it points its self.....really nice gun but a bit heavy.
what is left handed about a shotgun is the bend in the stock.

Most shotguns are set at the factory for between 1/8-1/4 cast off, which means the right handed person will have proper alignment of the shoulder, and line of sight in relation to the bead.
For a lefty, when shooting a gun with cast off, it usually means he or she needs to bring their body over the stock, and thus have an incorrect posture and line of sight in relation to the bead. A left handed stock will be bent in the opposite direction and have cast on.
The Beretta White Onyx is offered in left and right stocked guns.

most Beretta, benelli, Brownings, Franchi and the like have cast off, for the world's predoninant right handed-ness. Think I read that only 8% of the world is lefty????

Anyhoo, Browning and other companies are now offering guns such as the Cynergy, which have neutral cast, allowing either shooter to mount the gun properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts