Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I friend sent me this pic taken in a local pawn shop this morning.

Attachments

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't have an issue with people getting what they can for what they have. The old supply and demand thing. But, some places who are gouging should be remembered when this is over. Cheaper than Dirt is one that comes to mind. Texas AG has fined/sued them a couple of times.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
These Businesses price gouging their customers, should be investigated. But we all know there will be nothing done about it as it has to do with "Guns". If it were another item then an investigation would be called for.:confused:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've seen them priced higher than that. I just shake my head and walk on by. As long as people continue to pay those prices that will be the new norm until the market gets flooded again. I'm lucky to have enough primers to hold me for a while.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't have an issue with people getting what they can for what they have. The old supply and demand thing. But, some places who are gouging should be remembered when this is over. Cheaper than Dirt is one that comes to mind. Texas AG has fined/sued them a couple of times.
That's why after the last component/ammo scare I canceled my account with them and have not bought anything from them since. There is a difference between supply and demand vs tripling prices of items already on the shelf just to get extra.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's why after the last component/ammo scare I canceled my account with them and have not bought anything from them since. There is a difference between supply and demand vs tripling prices of items already on the shelf just to get extra.
Ctd also had allegedly after sandy hook canceled orders and made folks replace the orders at the hiked prices due to an alleged system issue

·
Registered
470 Posts
Might be about time to dig out my components and make a mint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Easy solution. Just let them sit. Hopefully we all can hold out with our stashes until things get back to the new normal. Like said, it’s a free country, they can ask whatever they want and we can let them sit.
+1

I know it's hard for the new shooter/reloader, but paying those prices hurts all of us. While this current situation is tougher than what we saw under BO, and before that with Clinton, it too shall pass. We've suffered the perfect storm in this arena. Despite the rumors, manufacturers are running full tilt, with whatever raw materials they can get their hands on, to try and catch up to the demand. In the meantime, don't encourage the scalpers by paying those ridiculous prices.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I did notice that the listed price for powder and primers at reputable dealers, even though they are out of stock, are about double of what they were before the craziness hit( primers that were $30-35/1000 now are $60-65/1000 at Graf’s) I guess this will be the new normal when supplies do become available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did notice that the listed price for powder and primers at reputable dealers, even though they are out of stock, are about double of what they were before the craziness hit( primers that were $30-35/1000 now are $60-65/1000 at Graf’s) I guess this will be the new normal when supplies do become available.
This is true, primarily due to the increased cost of raw materials to the manufacturers. While I doubt we'll see $30/1k again for primers, over time they will probably drop into the $40-50/1k range. Hopefully while I'm still kickin' and in need of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I bought 22 lr at 50 cents a box in the 60's my monthly income was not very much. As such ammo is dam cheap now. The principle thing is availability. I am not buying any now because I brought my personal inventory up when it was cheaper.

·
Premium Member
15,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One reason we see a doubling of prices is so they can discount it once the real price is known. I've seen that before.
Of course now, we kinda expect to get hosed with the new supply and there are plenty of people that would gladly pay double, no questions asked.
Yesterday, I took a brand new 1M carton of Remington Small Rifle Match primers to the local gun store and after suffering some abuse, traded them straight across for a thousand W-W large pistol primers, which I was short of.

Just as an illustration of how the supply chain is working---- In 1993, primers became unobtainable. The rumor was that all new primers (and therefore) ammo would be time-limited and 'go dead' after so many years. There was a panic in the public with enemies in the WH and guns were under attack.
A local shop was caught very low on inventory so when the big rush hit he was desperate. My gunshop partner and I had a couple hundred thousand assorted primers between us. His were bought in the '60s and mine in the '70s. We traded old primers (well stored, original cases) for the promise to replace them at 2X the amount. I gave a case each of four sizes and got back eight cases of new Remingtons in four sizes. I sold my payback extras at straight wholesale in '99. That meant I had 40,000 new primers for free. I've sold some (given more) over the years but still have a life-time supply.
I just traded free primers for primers some would pay $200 to get ahold of.

You can't pay too much, only buy too early. Prices don't come down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
These Businesses price gouging their customers, should be investigated. But we all know there will be nothing done about it as it has to do with "Guns". If it were another item then an investigation would be called for.:confused:
I don't agree with investigating them because that's what the free market is all about, but we don't HAVE to buy from these price gougers either. IF buyers would avoid them they would go out of business & dry up, but the problem is that there is always someone who is willing to pay their super inflated prices & all that does is embolden them to keep doing what they do.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Right johnz.. another problem we have is all the new reloaders out there they have no idea what prices were before the freakDemic. . They'll pay anything. .

·
Registered
680 Posts
I might pay $60.00 for a thousand if I was out but, no way I'll pay $200 or more. They can stick them in the "nether region".

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,507 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts