Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost the web address of a company in South Afri9ca who makes composite bullets. They stated as an example that their 100 grain bullet had the same BC (ballistic Co-efficient) as a 130 grain standard, jacketed bullet in the .270 caliber.

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with: (1) The web address of that or another company making composite bullets and/or (2) what experience you have had using composite bullets in target shooting/bench shooting situations.

Does anyone has experience with any 7mm TCU caliber target experience WHEN USED IN A RIFLE OF ANY KIND ? Also what has been your experience with any 7mm bullet of 140 grains traveling from 2300 to 2500 feet per second ?

Thanks in advance, from

Chuck

:confused: :confused: :confused: :D

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Chuck,
What type of composite is used in the bullet? There are a couple of tin/copper, tungsten/copper bullets out there, though I don't know if they really fit the "composite" description. GS Custom is making a solid copper frangible bullet out of South Africa, but are receiving a lot of criticism as of late due to unfilled orders (more than 2 years after they received payment from the customer) and high prices. Supposed to be a heck of a bullet though. The GS bullets I've seen are similar to Barnes X construction, but look like a North Fork. I believe Speer is making some tungsten bullets, though I don't know if they are a composite or not.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
composite bullets

Hi alyeska338,

Long time, no hear.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I'm turned on with some material with enough mass to defy the wind (better than the worthless .17HMR) and has a higher ballistic co-efficient than bullets weighing 20 to 25% more so as to get higher velosities and better trajectories.

If I didn't think Hornady would come out with a 50 grain 7mm bullet, I'd write them a letter. I'm really irritated with gun writers praising to the high heavens about how absolutely wonderful the .17 HMR round is, without telling their readers that there was a windless day when they shot their good groups. It HAD to be windless, because I've shot the heck out of that caliber and kept good records. If so much as a goose flew nearby the bullet would drift uncontrolably.

:cool: Chuck

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Yup!!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I know Barnes claims their X bullets do exactly that, Chuck. I've shot the X, but mainly for the performance on game, not necessarily the advantages you are seeking.

Lost River Ballistics are producing some extremely high B.C. bullets that are being sought after as of late in some of the larger calibers, I don't know what all they offer, though, nor do I know anything about their construction.

These two might be worth checking into.
http://www.lostriverballistic.com/
http://www.barnesbullets.com/

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
COMPOSITE BULLETS

HI ALYESKA338,

THANKS FOR THE INFO.

I'M GONNA BE IN JUNEU, SKAGWAY AND HETHCHIKAN THE WEEK OF jULY 6 THRU JULY 13. I'LL DO SOME RESEARCH WHERE YOUR HOME TOWN IS LOCATED.

I HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR YOU AND WOULD HOPE I CAN MEET YOU ON OUR 50TH ANNIVERSARY CRUISE TO ALASKA.

SEE YA,

:D CHUCK

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Bring your raingear Chuck. Sailing up through the Inside Passage and around Glacier Bay National Park is wonderful experience. Absolutely spectacular, but can be very wet. Sitka is, in my opinion, the prettiest town in Alaska. I live in Girdwood, along the coast, around the horn of the Kenai Peninsula, up through Cook Inlet, down Turnagain Arm to near its origin. Kind of a long, long way from Southeast Alaska by boat, and you can't go up the Turnagain Arm in a boat, though. Can't drive from here to there, either, unless you back out through Canada from Haines, drive the Alaskan Highway over to the Tok cutoff, over to Glenallen, down the Matanuska-Susitna Valley to Anchorage, then south on the Seward Highway to Girdwood. Not exactly sure how many miles that is, close to 800 would be an uneducated guess. Air miles from Yakutat (west side of Glacier Bay and the Tongass National Forest) to Girdwood is approximately 400 miles or so, give or take. It's a big state. At any rate, it appears that I will be out of the country during that time, 5th through the 19th. Too bad I'll miss you, and am hoping you enjoy your visit. Bring a sweater, a rain coat, a camera and lots of film.

Send me an email if you have any questions or concerns about your visit.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ALASKA VOYAGE 7-6 ---7-13, 2003

HI ALYESKA,

THE WEATHER WAS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. SUNSHINE EVERY DAY DURING THE CRUISE. LOVED THE ALASKA ENVIRONMENT AND CAN SEE WHY LIVING THERE PART-TIME WOULD BE ENJOYABLE. WHILE TOO OLD FOR THE BOONDOCKS, I'D ENJOY CITIFIED LIVING IN JUNEAU PART-TIME.

WE FELT RIPPED OFF BY THE CRUISE LINE ( NORWEGIAN C.L.) AND THE CROOKED TOUR OPERATORS WHO RELIED ON THE N.C.L. FOR A LOT OF THEIR BUSINESS. THE TOURS IN JUNEAU AND KETCHIKAN WERE TOTALLY RIPOFFS AND WE ARE STILL SMARTING FROM THEM FINANCIALLY. THE SKAGWAY TOUR WAS FINE, BUT WAY OVER-PRICED. I WAS ABLE TO PAN FOR GOLD AND SAW WHAT HARDSHIPS THE GOLD MINERS MUST HAVE NEGOCIATED TO GET TO THE KLONDIKE MINING AREA.

SEE YA LATER, ALYESKA !

:) CHUCK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts