Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running Windows 98 2nd Edition and my screen often (very) totally freezes up. Nothing I do gets it to respond. Control/alt/delete does nothing. The only thing I can do is to turn off the hard drive. It seems to only happen when I am on the internet. Also this stupid thing will sometimes turn itself off and then turn itself back on immediately. Do any of you have any idea why it is doing these things and what I could do to fix it? Thanks, Brian C.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Brian,
This is just a guess or two.  Your computer and telephone line should be connected through a good surge protector.  If you don't have one, that would be a good start. Surges might also cause the system to do a reset, or your Internet concection to hang. When we had Win 98 SE, we had a lot of problems.  I installed Win Millenium and then Millenium/Win 2K in dual boot.  We've had no problems with Internet access under either OS for over a year.  Again, all electrical connections are made via a good surge protector.  Interestingly enough, until I connected our phones (which have electronics also) through the surge protector, we burnt out three different phones.  It wasn't related to storms either. The weather had been fine in all cases. If you do consider a change in OSes, you might wnat to wait for Win XP this Fall. Good luck. Hope this helps.

God bless,
Jim

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Keep in mind that computers are like a bull headed, civil servants, with a regulation that is stupid on outset and he is determined to inforce it. Like civil servants, keeping a short section of pick handle close by, seems to work wonders in convincing both to operate in a manner that makes sense and attitude adjustment.
Intimidation works with both.
Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Brian,

You have certainly come to the right place to fix this problem.  You will find that many of the products available at Beartooth Bullets are excellent tools for correcting computer troubles.  Also, if you refer to the LoadSwap section, you can find recipies that make using these tools even easier.  

For example, one of the BTB .476 dia x 420 gr bullets over 25.0 gr of H4227, as listed by Powderstuffer, will easily stop your computer from turning itself on and off at will.

-
-
-
-

Just kidding!  I couldn't resist.  When haven't each of us thought seriously about using one of our pet loads to solve a computer problem once and for all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brian,

Win 9x systems freezing while doing something isn't that unusual. The cheapest fix would be to load that system up with RAM ( I've seen 256MB Micron RAM online for about 35 dollars although 9x/ME can't use that much very well. )

I've been running NT and now 2000 for the last 4+ years and it is much better. XP looks promising (mostly).

The real way to fix it is to pump the RAM up to 256+ and load a newer OS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts