Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I currently have a rem 700 adl in 300 win mag.I however have a passion for lever action big bores. Because I am a younger hunter I do not have money at this time for both.Am I a fool to think about sellling the 700 in favor of a .444 marlinS. I hunt whitetail in northern Wisconsin , But also hope to go for bigger game in nthe future. I should also point out I dont shoot past 200 yards. Any opinions would help greatly.
Thanks alot
nathan

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
This is kind of like a vanilla or chocolate question. IF you are a handloader, the 444 will do anything the 300 Win will do, given some range limitations. However, if you use factory loads stick with the Winchester round.
It's all a matter of personal choice. The 300 has some practical advantages, but you should go with what you like!

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I am worried about is when I get the chance to got for bigger game i.e. moose caribou, will the .444 be "enough" bullet? I do not handload, I have absolutely zero knowledge of handloading and am a little afraid to start up without soem kind of instruction.
thanks nathan

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Nathan,
Handloading is a fairly simple operation on the face of it, provided you know what you are doing. Your best bet would be to purchase a loading manual, they outline the procedure very well. Some are better than others. There are also videos available to walk you through the process. It is a rewarding and beneficial past time if you have the desire. The work you do developing loads will allow you much practice time and make you a better shot, I highly reccomend it. The best resource for you to tap when beginning would be a vetran handloader who can show you the ropes. I figured it out from the RCBS reloading manual at age 14, a mentor would have been a great help. Worrying if you're "doing it right" is the bigget hurdle to overcome, and a experienced handloader or a very good video are your best resources in that order.

If you do decide to go with the .444, handloading will be in order if anything larger than deer is on the menu. I don't have a .444, but the ballistics cannot be denied. You should should check out the tech articles on this website if you haven't already done so. I like the idea of the .444, with a 200yd limit, it puts the hunt in hunting, encourages you to become a better woodsmen/hunter to get within range instead of blasting away at a deer on the far side of a field or across a canyon. I grew up in MN and learned to hunt deer in the northern part of the state, which is similar to your area of Wisconsin....big woods if I'm not mistaken. The .444 would be the ideal sledgehammer for hunting deer and larger game in that type of terrain.

·
Registered
471 Posts
On one hand, your 300 is a very good all around rifle that could be used on any North American game. On the other, the draw of the All American action is strong. Assuming the ability to enhance your stable of rifles at some point in the future, should you decide to go hunt Pronghorns or something, I personally would probably go for the levergun for hunting in your part of the country. However I don't believe it's as versatile as your ADL.

I agree with The Hick. Do some reading about handloading before jumping into it and then see if you can find someone to mentor you through your first few batches. You'll never be sorry you got started. (If you're married your wife might!) Being able to shoot more is a big plus but I find being able to create loads that can't be bought off the shelf my main interest. Just take your time and pay attention to what you're doing, pay attention to the loading manuals (Speer is very good one for a beginner), and you'll be surprised at how easy (and fun) this hobby can be.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the imput. I just got back from a weekend of shopping (wifes birthday) and I have put some money down on a 444. I doubt I will have it by this season but hey I'm young. Plan to use my superblack hawk mostly this year anyway.
Just something about those cowboy guns.
Nathan

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,962 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase. I've often thought of the .444 Marlin, but just couldn't justify it, due to the 1895LTD 45-70 sitting in the safe.

As Bartmasterson says, the .300 WM will take anything available on the North American continent when handled by a competent shooter.

The .444 is a notorious kicker, so be prepared for a little recoil - more so than the .300 WM. When young, that normally doesn't bother a person. In my older age, I tend toward the smaller calibers.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
nathanupnorth
Welcome to the bigbore lever ownership crowd!! When you get your new toy and want to start reloading for it thereare a bunch of us old heads a round here that will be more then happy to answer your questions - I've been reloading for 20+ years so I'll be more then happy to help when the need arises! :D For now get yourself a couple of reloading Manuals and read and read some more! ;)

Though I don't shoot the Trip 4 alot of guy here do and they'll chipp in when the need arises I'm sure!

Good shooting !! :)

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Gunnut,
Thanks, I'm hopefully pickin it up in about 2 months-Gettin a new bow and a canoe first. Can't wait to hear the thunder though,
Thanks
Nathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts