Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mention on here in a previous post, I had bought a used Ruger Redhawk, 5 1/2" 44 Mag. After I found a bit of time, I went through the gun and range tested it. There were some tolerance issues (flash gap, etc), the cylinder was locking up just a bit late, and the trigger was way too light and smooth (not an endearing factor in a Redhawk). I also had a couple of misfires and the firing pin was about .020 short of spec. About two weeks ago I sent the gun off to Ruger with a letter stating all the issues that I had with the gun, and told them to repair or replace "anything" that they found after a thorough inspection of the internals, and to thoroughly test thier work before returning the gun. Well, I got the gun back today (only two weeks!!!)...and, I know it is better than the factory could have made it when new! All the tolerances are to minimum spec, and I can readily see that the trigger, hammer, firing pin etc has been re-placed, along with the mainspring (the old spring was returned with the gun). The single action is heavy (just the way it should be) and the double action, although not light compared to my Smiths, is very smooth!!! Ruger did a great job on the gun...their service was fast, and best of all they charged me NOTHING for the work...What a Christmas present! I must say that owning a Ruger definately has its good points, and thier factory service center is one of them! I am going to call them tomorrow and thank them for their efforts!.......just thought you should know!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I also have had to send used and new guns to Ruger for service and they were quick and didn't charge a thing.

I sent a MKII 22 back because someone messed with the sear and the gun was going full-auto. They replaced the whole sear-trigger assembly for no charge and it works smooth as silk.

I also sent back an Old Model Vaquero in 45colt/45ACP. The two cylinders wouldn't shoot to the same POI. They fixed it, reblued it, and returned it for no charge. My only complaint was they removed the spring kit I installed in the gun and put factory springs in it. They returned my springs, but then I had to put them back into the gun.

I must ask you Flat top, why do you want a hard single action pull on your Redhawk? I have a 2.5-3 lb pull on my 41 magnum Redhawk and I couldn't imagine dealing with a 6 pound pull. That light crisp trigger allows me to shoot tiny little groups at 100yds [2" for 6 shots] and makes pulling a shot impossible.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I've heard similar stories. The only thing I've had Ruger do was replace a stock that cracked behind the tang, I had to pay shipping there, but that was it, they replaced and shipped it back for no charge. It only took a week and the stock fit perfectly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's a great thing when you expirience awesome customer service. I had a simular expirience today with S&W. It's nice to know that there are companies that still do the right thing and treat customers well. Funny how alot of them are gun manufacturers. Maybe a part of it is fear of liability. Regardles there are alot of co's that could take some lessons from them.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned Rugers for many years, bought one of the first SBH's to hit the market. I always did my own smithing and really never had a problem with any Ruger I had ever owned (which says something in itself). This one is going to get a thorough going through by me, but, I wanted a "fresh" factory spec gun to work with. I had the impression that somebody had messed with this gun....reason being that the trigger pull was way too light....The Redhawk is noted for a heavy single action in its factory spec configuration, and that is what tipped me off. When the gun misfired, then I was sure that something was amiss. Anyway, thanks to Ruger Service, I now have a gun that is "stock", and the modifications can begin. I am going to do a trigger job and replace the mainspring, but now at least I have new parts to work with, other wise, I would have had to replace all those parts at my expense. Also, replacing a firing pin in a Redhawk is a real PITA....so, it was best to let Ruger do that, and, the flash gap on my gun was .006+....Ruger got that back down to a nice .002....Anyway, the gun feels great and everything is tight, the cylinder timing is dead on, and I am a very happy customer! Should be able to get out to the range over the holidays and do a little shooting for a final check, and then the modifications can begin. I just finished up on my Blackhawk, so I need something to work on to keep me out of trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts