Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be sure of the meaning first off...What most of you here refer to as a "conical" bullet is one that does not use a plastic sleeve, right ?

I get confused because think of sabots as jsut another type of conical bullet (with a plastic sleeve)

Anyway........here's my question.
Whats considered the max 50cal conical for a typical inline ? (And how is it determined ?)
I dont remember the manual for my CVA stating this.
I'm guessing if a guy tried to shoot a 600 grain it might develop too much pressure. (or not)

·
Inactive
1,962 Posts
I think CVA limits their conical weight to 400 grains. Ask Frontier Gander, he would know what the new ones can do.

I commonly shoot a 460 grain to 550 grain conical in my White Rifles. And in my T/C Black Diamond XR I shoot a 460 grain conical bullet.

Powerbelts are a conical even through they have a plastic sleeve. They can run from 245 grain up to over 400 grain. In my Trade Rifle I shoot a 405 grain Powerbelt with some good results. In my CVA I shoot a 245 grain conical. I always thought this was kind of silly because I can shoot a 250 grain XTP with the same results other then I loose some in diameter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The max bullet size is determined by thye rate of twist and the shape of the bullet. I shoot a 460 gr 500 S&W bullet in my 1-28 twist Renegade. I am sure this load would be very accurate in an inline. Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a CVA Hunterbolt & the owners manual list a 300 grain sabot or a 400 grain conical as max for the bullet weight. 100 grains loose powder or up to three pyrodex pellets for the max load.

·
Banned
188 Posts
If planning On hunting with it I would check with the hunting regs for the state or states you are going to hunt in.
In CO a connical can't be longer than twice the dia in the muzzleloading rifle season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was glad to see Colorado finally did away with the bullet length limitation for 2010 (pg 4 in the 2010COLORADO big game application) Called and checked and they said yes it's gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.