Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shooting hi power as well as recreational extreme distance for .223 rem.

i'm finally at the point where i can out shoot most of my rifles, so now im looking for that little edge that i can add to my reloads to get to the next levels.
i've got some loads that will shoot about 1/2 inch all day...

what i want to ask is, do you think that variations in bullet weights are affecting my accuracy?

with my 68g hornady bthp, they vary from 67.8-68.4......

to me, thats a lot, anyone else?

if i'm to shave some off with a file, should i shave the nose a touch?
will that affect the accuracy more than the weight?

this sucks, i want more consistancy

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
Probably easier and less trouble to try benchrest bullets? Bergers et al?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Worrying about less than 0ne grain of weight with a bullet is getting down into the fine grass hairs of reloading. You'll probably get more variance with .001" seating depth difference, .0001" runout or 1 lb difference of primer seating pressure, not to mention the .01" scale of measure variance of the powder charge.

I'd say you've got some very consistent bullet weights, there.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
If you're shooting 1/2" groups "all day" then you're doing everything right at the reloading bench. From what I've read, weighing bullets made these days (especially Nosler BT's) is a fruitless exercise, because they are so darn consistent. Your time is better spent using only quality components and making sure your case necks are perfectly concentric than weighing bullets or even cases. Like Mike said, if you are thinking the bullet weights are a concern, go with a match bullet like the Bergers or Lapua Scenar, if your barrel will stabilize them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The only thing that might improve your groups would be the use of an ogive gauge, it measures the length from the base to the ogive on bullets.
Shooting F-Class, I have discovered that even bullets from the same box can vary by .020" in base to ogive length, although this is rare, a common mismatch is around .005"-.008" and bullets of different batches can be totally different in this length.

I use 30cal 200gr Nosler AB's for my shooting because they're the most consistent and accurate, but even these differ in base to ogive length between batches, if unchecked this has opened POI by more than 5MoA @ 1000yrds! Groups also open by as much as 2MoA at 600yrds, which does nothing for consistency!

Going to this extent is really only needed for extreme accuracy rifles, your every day hunting rifle may never see an improvement doing this, but for a varmint/benchrest/longrange rifle that shows very good accuracy this may just improve it's accuracy measurably.

I do not use them, but there is also a device that uniforms the meplat on bullets, or in other words the tip, it's only for hollow point style match bullets, it's said to improve the BC consistency between bullets.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've got a rifle that i shoot frequently, that is a rem 700 varmint, with a few doo dads added on, with a 32x fixed scope that has a 1/8 moa dot in the center.
this rifle will shoot my regular hand loads at about .385 of an inch for the past 128 rounds that i've put thru it.

that last responce is interesting, because the more contact the projectile has with the barrel than the more stability it will gain.
my bullets vary less than 30 fps leaving the barrel,and mostly only vary about 12, which seems to be as good as i can get things to work, i'm just looking for a little something extra.

things ive already done,

digital scale, x2 to weed out discrepency in charge load
seperate bullets into groups based on weight, .1 grain incriments
case mouth walls,
case brands
primer brands
case length,
seating length
barrel cleanliness...............funny, this gun hates to be clean.. shoots best after 30 rounds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.