Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I bid on a Contender rifle at an auction. It was marked .222 on the tag and I never even picked the gun up. It came home and went in the gun safe. I pulled it out yesterday and the barrel was marked .223. It is the Contender Super 16. I would like to have a 44 mag barrel that is 16.5 inches long. Where is the best place to purchase barrels? I have not been able to find a 16.5 inch 44 mag barrel.

Thanks!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,822 Posts
Have you looked at the various auction sites on the internet?

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't seen one on my earlier look on GunBroker or Ebay. I do see a E Arthur Brown Company but I do not see a 16.5 " version. It would be good to find someone that has one laying around. That was my hopes.

Thanks!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
Did they ever exist at a factory offering? If so, with enough time one may show up on an auction site.

Otherwise.... may have to have one made.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase barrels? I have not been able to find a 16.5 inch 44 mag barrel.
I have several barrels that are from Bullberry barrelworks (Now Bullberry Legacy as Mr. Fred has retired) in Hurricane Utah. They have excellent quality, will make any length you want and in tapered or bull. Wait time is about 3 months, but I feel that it is well worth that wait time. I am beyond pleased with all of mine.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EABC emailed back and said I could order through their custom shop. Their only offering is a 23 inch. I will check out Bullberry Legacy. Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Try MGM...Match Grade Machine. You can order the barrel to whatever length you want and they might have some in stock. They aren't exactly on the cheaper end of the TC barrel spectrum but are very nice barrels. Haus of Arms is a large dealer of their stuff too and you can get it for less than a custom order from the factory if they have your barrel in stock.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Plus 1 on the MGM barrels. I’ve owned several and although they are a bit “pricey“, the extra you pay is well worth if for what you get.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
MGM is one way to go, as is EAB and Bulberry. Heck, JD's boys at SSK Industries might hook you up, I don't know.

What I did was send my 14" Super barrel to David White and he pinned an aluminum sleeve onto the end of the barrel.

I'll warn you that these make for very light little carbines and the recoil is surprisingly sharp on them. Getchya a scope with plenty of eye relief. ;)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
he pinned an aluminum sleeve onto the end of the barrel.
I imagine that this was done to make the barrel legal to use with a rifle stock attached. I thought that the sleeve would have to be welded or something like that, but guess pinning is considered permanant. Was thinking of doing something along this line with at least one of my 14 inchers. I have gotten into the Encore platform lately and like it very much. Age is catching up with me and I have having a harder time shooting handguns lately.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up a stainless MGM barrel off of gunbroker. Waiting on it to arrive.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts