Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shooting buddy has got a Contender and a number of pistol barrels but is starting to get interested in a carbine barrel.  The gun shop told him that the carbine barrel won't work with a pistol frame.  I thought that these things were pretty much ambidextrious except maybe for some oddball models.  Is the gun shop right?  Or are they just trying to sell him another frame?

Also, I've been to Virgin Valley's website and see that they sell a barrel for something called a 375x444.  Anyone got experience with this?  Sounds like it may have potential.  I asked for ballistics information and will post here if they supply any.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
 Not sure what they would be talking about - but all my barrels fit on all my recievers ...Pistol or carbine ..
 There was something at one time about if you bought a carbine T/C and changed it to a pistol it was a no-no with the Feds. But I don't really think it would matter ..  Mac

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Mechanically, the longer carbine barrels will fit perfectly to a pistol reciever as there is no difference between the pistol and original carbine reciever. There is an incompatability with armour alloy frames and blue frames with regard to barrels but even that can be corrected.

What gets sticky is the federal/local regulations about doing so. Federally, you are free to "convert" a pistol into a rifle as long as you use the buttstock with a barrel 16" and over in length and not less than that. Some municipalities regulations vary the gamut from re-registration to the point of the officials themselves not knowing what their laws entail in this regard.

Just use the appropriate forend with the carbine barrel and away you go.

Nice little gun.

Regards, Ray

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Addendum,

That 375/444 is most likely the 375 JDJ called by a generic name to avoid proprietary issues with SSK Industries.

I have shot this round on a few occasions and it is quite powerful. It is quite capable on larger game and probably anything in this country will fall with it given the right set of circumstances. I'll defer here to someone with more experience with this round.

Another good chambering is the 358 Bellm and the JDJ. The Bellm I own myself. Typically these rounds will throw a 200 grain bullet around 2200- 2400 FPS at practically 1" groups at 100 yds. in good hands. A muzzle brake is almost mandatory but a few souls out there use them without. The Bellm has a longer neck than the JDJ which is more conducive to cast bullet use should you be into that. It uses standard 358 Winchester dies and the case is run into the die to put the shoulder in the right place. All these rounds are 444 Marlin case based. Custom dies and their added expense, are usually needed for the JDJ's

Regards, Ray

(Edited by Contender at 11:34 am on Dec. 8, 2001)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contender is indeed correct, the 375x444 turns out to be the 375 JDJ, according to Virgin Valley themselves.  They said to contact SSK for ballistic information.  I sent SSK email and find that the ballistics data is supplied with the barrel, as well as what is available in the Hornady and Accurate manuals.  Dies run &#3668 and the carbine barrel about &#36350.  Of course things like muzzle brakes, etc are extra.  He said to add about 8% to available data to get approximate carbine ballistics.  The cartridge is formed by "straightening 444 case over a 44 expander plug [as they are always out of round], and then full length sizing in the JDJ die".  "Pressures are relatively low and cases last a long time".  The email as signed "JD", so I guess he would know about this sort of thing!

I wonder what this would be like in a Ruger 1B with 26" pipe?  Seems like a lever action might work too...depending on what "relatively low pressures" means exactly.  Sort of a 375 Win Mag...  I wonder if anyone has tried a 375/45-70?  Or the ultimate 375/50 BMG?  I'll have to check with Barnes :).

(Sorry, I have 375-itis)

·
Registered
11 Posts
bart,
your wish for a 375-45/70 was done around 1893 in the form of the 38-56 winchester....good luck inventing a new wildcat though....i happen to like 375's too.
I have a 16" contender in 375win,a win 94 big bore in 375,a 1893 marlin in 38-55,,,and a 375-338 built on a p17 enfield.   long live the 375's !

i also love 45's !       45nut

1 - 6 of 6 Posts