Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Converting a Remington 742 to a pump action or straight Pull action

OK I talked this over with my gunsmith and he said he did not see why it would not work. I figure I will ask here too. I got a Remington 742 that the receiver is about half worn or half usable yet. (I am talking about the chatter marks on the rail that these guns get) This gun was just given to me free. Now I know that some folks convert these to a 760 pump using the 760 parts.

I took off the forarm and pumped the action by hand and it worked fine. What I would have to do is disable and plug the gas port and then modify the forarm to fit the action so I could hand pump the gun. I was going to wait until it got bad enough to become a single shot but my gunsmith said if your going to do it do it now to save any more wear on the receiver rails.

Comments?

Here is a picture copied from Wisners that show the action. As you can see the action is slightly compressed in the picture with the shell holding the bolt partly open. The gas port is the small tube on the right side and that would have to be blocked then the forearm modified and shortened to and fit to that Tube slide assembly that fits over the rod with the spring. Every thing would be left intact except for the gas port being disabled and the forearm fit to the slide assembly. As is the gun probably only has a few hundred shots left give or take. By doing this it should now last as the receiver will not be battered by the pounding of the semi auto action.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I talked to my local gunsmith and a online friend who is one. Both assured me this is doable and simple. Block the gas port and make a forearm to fit the sleeve that the rails attach to. Spring operated straight pull pump.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well blocked the gas port by making a longer set screw that goes into the gas port system from the bottom and that blocked the gas tube. Worked as planned gun shot once and did not cycle and the bolt handle ejected the shell fine so I will leave the factory forearm on and work the bolt with the bolt handle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ahlman"s gunshop in Minnesota advertises this conversion. My father has a 742 that will probably need this conversion some time in the distant future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I am just going to use this as a straight pull action. I blocked the gas port so it will not cycle the action and operating the bolt with the bolt handle works just fine. Thanks for the info it was interesting to see what they charge. Not too bad of a price but this is a lot cheaper (Twenty five cents for a longer set screw) and will work fine just not as a pump but a straight pull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts