Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More of a rifle question than a gunsmithing question:
I have a Tikka in 7-08 I would like to convert to .280 Ackley Improved. The action for 308 length rounds and .30-06 length rounds is the same, just the polymer magazines are slightly different.

Has anyone out there tried same?
Would the use of the Tikka '06 length magazine be an issue.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Sounds like a nice conversion. I believe that there are spacers in the magazine to offset the shorter cartridge length. So, that leads me to think that you're on the right track of thought.

Reactions: TMan

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tnhunter is correct, the magazines are identical except for a spacer.

Just replace the short action bolt stop with a long action bolt stop.
Interesting enough, The bolt stop has a part, but not a size. I wonder if it's the same stop, mounted in a different cutout?

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I started to mention the bolt stop too, BUT, I didn't know what end of the magazine the spacer was. If at the front, the bolt stop may stay the same.
Make sense?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The specific model Tikka is not mentioned, but I suspect the magazine spacer is in the back, based on this: Tikka T3 & T3x Flush Magazines, 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 308 Win, 7mm-08
If your magazine looks like that, you need to simply buy a long action magazine, and modify or replace the bolt stop, like below.

If so, the bolt stop would have to be modified, or replaced by one from Mountain Tactical, see here:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.