Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live by some Hmong farmers and they pass my place on their way to work their fields. I also live in a flyway of feral pigeons, and I occasionally shoot a couple of dairy farms near here. I have found that the Hmongs love pigeons. They like to lavish all kinds of fresh vegetables on me because I bring them huge sacks of freshly killed pigeons. They also beg me to shoot the jackrabbits because they eat their newly sprouted veggies, particularly the snow peas. It's really nice situation for me. I get lots of wingshooting, and they eat what would otherwise go to waste. Every time I nail a jackrabbit, they chear me on like I've stopped an invasion. rather hilarious sometimes.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
You should try eating the feral pigeons yourself. There is a lot more meat on them than on doves (their birdwatcher name is "Rock Dove"). Squab is the young pigeon just before fledging. When growing up we always shot the pigeons we saw while dove hunting and cooked them together.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should try eating the feral pigeons yourself. There is a lot more meat on them than on doves (their birdwatcher name is "Rock Dove"). Squab is the young pigeon just before fledging. When growing up we always shot the pigeons we saw while dove hunting and cooked them together.
I've eaten quit a few pigeons, but the ones that fly between the dairy farms and the city around here just don't taste right to me. I think it's because they pick through cow crap all day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.