Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a Franklin press that I really got a good deal on, it's actually just been sitting around because I haven't seemed to have time to remove my Lee and mount it on my loading bench. What I've been thinking about was possibly converting it to accept the Lock N Load conversion bushing so that it would accept the new bushings. I was just wondering if all I would have to do is maybe take it to a tool and die shop and have the threads converted. So I thought I would check with much more experienced loaders here. Seem like this process would be a lot cheaper then buying a new press that would accept the new conversion bushing or buy a Hornady Lock N Load press. Would there be any downside to this and when I take the press in would I just tell them to convert the threads to 1-1/4 - 12" Thanks looking forward to your thoughts and observations.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=858110

Tom j.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
I think you're underestimating the machine shop costs involved. A tap that size is about $150 if it has to be purchased, and setting up to bore the old threads out truly coaxial with the ram journal and then either tap or, more accurately, single-point turn the threads on a lathe, is hours of work. I expect it will prove far less expensive just to get a new Lee Classic Cast press, which has the right thread already in it. Despite being well under $100, that press is a well-thought-out design investment cast from salvage train rail steel. Very rigid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts