Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of problems will be encountered in this 'little' project? The Winchester Featherweight Classic Left-HAnd only comes in WSM cartridges. Quite a pickle huh? The custom version has the .257 roberts but it costs well over $2000.00. Any ideas would be appreciated///:confused:

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
This is probably not practical because the bolt head is magnum size (diameter). You see the left handed Remington 700's for sale sometimes but it sounds like you, as I do, prefer the short actions. The Savage 110 series action is the best for conversion now that they make the true short action again. If your building a custom rifle the Savage makes sence because there are good after market triggers available now. Re-stocked with good quality furniture it would make a nice light weight left hand rifle.
I picked up a .300WSM on the range the other day and took it home. I tried to de-cap it to weigh it and it is larger in diameter than my Lyman universal de-capper! It would not enter the die. I had to use a de-cap rod from a Leeloader!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem with savage rifles, they just don't do anything for me. It's hard to justify putting a $1200.00 stock on a $200.00 action. They are highly accurate but I'm looking for an action to base a nice custom rifle, ( ie. Model 70) but not a Dakota either.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Is the head size on the new WSSM cartridges the same size as the WSM's? I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time looking at the newest short mags. You could probably come up with a 6.5 based on the new cartridge that would fit your needs if someone else hasn't already done it. It's not all that tough to shorten a longer case. My Redding Ultramag will turn a 06 into a 30BR in one step, which would be far more radical than what you're trying to do. I would guess that a 6mm WSSM could be necked up and shortened in a FL size die without too much trouble. This conversion would likely prevent you from having to worry about doing any rail work on the action as it should be correct being that the cartridge diameter is the same. The magazine would be another story. I know that Remington 700's are all the rage, but I also prefer the Model 70 for the safety(function) and aesthetics. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
After looking at the ballistics on the 243WSSM, you might get away with just necking it up to .264. I guess it depends how much recoil and muzzle blast is acceptable to you. You know that there will be scads of new cartridges based on these if a wildcat is something you would use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K~~~
I like the way you think but there aren't any super short actions in lefty configuration. I think I've decided to go the way of JudePA, that is, a WSM necked down to .25 caliber, this way I get to utilize the new Winchester Featherweight shortaction.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I would think that you could use the featherweight action and have the chamber throated to best use your case capacity in the short action. God knows those 140's are long. A magazine block may be in order though.

·
Banned
548 Posts
If you are a handloader, why not get the 270 WSM and load it to 260 velocities? I have done this with my 270 WSM and comletely lost interest in the 260. Just replace W760 or R19 in the 260 with H4895 in the 270WSM(the charge weights will be very close). Recoil is identical with equal bullet weights, and they match up very well over the range from 85 to 160 grs. The 270 is only 0.013 inches larger in diameter and you can't tell them apart in your hand.

One of the largely unexplored virtues of the WSM case are that they shoot reduced loads extremely well. Choose a powder with the same reputation, like 4895, and you are home free - same ballistics as the 260, same recoil, same amount of powder and no loss in accuracy.

Both cases need a 24 inch bbl to reach max load velocities, but the 270 WSM using fast powders will do better out of a 20 inch tube than the 260 with equal charge weights. However, 24 inches in the featherweight is no problem anyway.

Of course, the 270 WSM will still be a Mag if you want it too, smoking varmints at 3750 fps with a full dose of Varget and Sierra 90 gr HPs or 3000 fps with 160 gr Nosler partitions.

You will loose 1 round of capacity in the magazine, but for $200 you can have a custom box built if it really matters that much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts