Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you're deciding whether that handgun is enough protection take a look at these:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=71356

·
Registered
36 Posts
mighty impressive critter. However if my rifle was not readily available ( ie more than 6" away) or broken ( can happen) I would much rather put my trust in the .41 Mag on my hip than in my foot racing ability, Jujutsu throwing techniques, or a stick with a piece of razor blade stuck on the end. Wont even mention the hollywood "bowie knife" defense.
That is one of many reasons I pack a hand gun ( real not plinker). Have for years & will continue to do so.
& yes I have had a big grizz put me to flight & out of the woods. After sunset in the black timber Elk blood on my hands & clothes with a .58 cal Hawken [ Green River - 175 gr FFg, patched round ball in case you care] is no place I need to be to prove my manhood. Never met Hugh Glass but I tried to learn from his misfortune. Old Ephriam won.
I now carry a 2nd Model Dragoon with  nice fat charges of FFFG in ALL 6 chambers on my black powder hunts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charlie,
While not my first choice don't underestimate the power of a sharp stick. A couple of years ago a guy shot a deer on Kodiak island. While dressing it he was jumped by a Grizzly. (My friends have told me they are conditioned to come to the sound of shots for a free meal - in Alaska defense of life and property doesn't include the deer you just shot- you have to let them have it unless you have a valid bear ticket.)

Anyway this guy fought off the bear with his 6" buck knife. If memory serves they found the bear dead not too far away. The guy needed some knitting but lived to tell about it.

Last year a guy(off duty park ranger as I recall) and his girl were hiking and were jumped by a grizz. The guy got smacked by the bear and knocked off the trail and down the hill. He heard his girl friend scream and goes charging back up the hill a punches the bear in the nose. The bear took off. Guy and girl needed some patches but lived to tell the story.

Both stories are true. - Still like you I'll keep the .44

Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts