Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
The copper plating is softer than actual jackets, which are a low-zinc mild brass. I have always heard you should use lead bullet loads for them. Rainier Ballistics seems to say the same the same thing: their plated bullets may be used with any load intended for lead bullets. If all you have available is jacketed bullet load data, they recommend reducing the maximum by 10% for use with their plated bullets. You can read that recommendation here.

I don't know if all plated bullets are identical to Rainier or not? Obviously, if the plating got thick enough it might act more like a solid, but I don't think that is normal practice. They are only trying to get enough on to cut down on lead contamination, which is mainly caused by muzzle blast on the bottom edges of the bullet.

Are all other

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.