Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering loading up some 357's with H-110 and the classic Lyman 358156 SWC GC.  I am wondering if the Winchester WSP primers (not the WSPM) I currently have on hand will work OK, or if I should something hotter like the CCI 550?

The WSP's I have are in the current blue box, but do not explicitly state for "Std and Mag Loads" on the side like my WLP primers do.  I am guessing that since Winchester still offers a designated Magnum small pistol primer, that the WSP primers are indeed "standard" strength.  Am I right in this assumption?

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Mark in GA

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mark,

While Winchester indeed does offer a magnum primer for small pistol, my load development in the .357 using H110/W296 reflects more uniform ES and SD as well as tighter groups from the .357 stoked with these powders when I use their standard WSP primer.

This is with 160- grain bullets, and with heavy profile crimps (Redding), but none-the-less more uniform results with the standard primer.

Go ahead and go with what you've got!  You can always go buy WSPM's if you're not satisfied with the results using the standard primer!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I don't load H110 in the 357 but I do load it in the 45 Colt for use in a Rossi Model 92 and a Colt Anaconda. I've found the Winchester standard Large Pistol Primer does rather well.
My experience seems to parallele Marshall's with his 357.
Jim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
For what it's worth... my best .357 load with the 185gr. FNGC used the Federal small pistol magnum primer, with 16 grains of WW296.  5 shots will go as tight as 2" at 50 yards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts