Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Marshall,

Need to order some bullets and have some questions for you.

.30-06 - haven't used cast bullets in this gun yet (Win M70).  Would like to have something just for plinking.  So looking at your selection in .30 cal, seems to me that the 140 might be a good choice, since it has a short nose and looks like the case neck would cover up the grease grooves.  Or would you go the opposite direction, say the heavy 173?  Let me know what you recommend.

.357 - have had some fun with this cartridge using your 185 FNGC, (2" groups at 50 yards with Blackhawk)  but am curious about the 200 gr +P.  The 200 looks like it has two crimp grooves.  Does this bullet offer any real advantage over the 185?  I'm curious about how much velocity I'd loose over the 185 (WW296).  I hunt hogs so am always on the lookout for something with more thump.

Already know what I want in .44, .45 so no questions there.

Let me know, if you could, so I can order some stuff.
thanks,

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Mike

That 140g FNGC in the .30 Calibers shoots like a house-afire!  It is mine and my son's favorite for a knock-around fun load in the .30-06's.   In all of our '06's, a load of 30.0g H4227 shoots under an inch when the bullets are sized to .310" diameter, and the bullet seated to engage the lands somewhat firmly upon chambering.  This is a roughly 2000 fps load depending upon the gun, but very effective for lots of purposes, and such fun, virtually no recoil.  (my 10 year old daughter shot 40+ of these loads not long ago, and punched out a 2.5" 75 yard group off the bench!)

Now about the 200g FNGC +P bullet in the .357.   It is a superbly accurate pill, but my personal feeling is that you get more performance out of the 185g FNGC's in that they seem to be the absolute perfect balance of velocity to weight for the .357.  You'll give up at least 140 fps with the 200g FNGC's as opposed to the 185g FNGC bullet.   It seems about a wash as far as penetration goes, the loss in velocity just about negates any gains in penetration due to weight increase and sectional density.   I've standardized all my .357's on the .358"-185g FNGC and feel that I have absolutely the best load possible for the .357 magnum.

But, variety, it's the spice of life!

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
36,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the information that I was looking for, thanks!  I'll try the 140 .30 cal at .310" (slugged the bore a while back and I think it was .309).  Will probably stick with the 185gr .357 bullet, why mess with success?

If anyone else has any plinking loads for cast bullets in the '06, glad to hear them.  I have some Bullseye, Blue Dot, lots of AA#2, 296, Titegroup, a dab of 452AA, and might be able to come up with some Unique.  For rifle powders I have lots of Varget, a little each of IMR and H-4350, some WWII surplus 4831, and maybe some other stuff.

Although from the sounds of it, maybe I should just get some H4227 and go from there.

·
36,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK,the order has been placed.  A medley of .30's, .357s, 40s, 44s, and 45s, plus a technical guide.  Now git back to the lead pot!! (please).  I'll try to help take up the slack on the forum .....

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Many thanks Mike!

We're currently putting in many 14-16 hour days getting you folks your bullets out!   It's hard for anyone to imagine the backlog of work we have!

Thanks to all for your patience.... the bullets are coming, the bullets are coming!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts