Have any of you used your "cowboy ammo" for deer hunting and
for hunting other thin skin medium size game? If so, what were
the results?

Kindly,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I suspect a person could shoot mild cowboy action loads from rounds like the 45LC and 44/40, as long as you kept it to bow-hunting distances. Personally, I've never been crazy about the idea of intentionally hunting with a gun that does not have the best possible ammunition in the chamber. Short of being dangerous, I believe hunting ammo should be loaded about as hot as you can make it, while still being very accurate. Maybe if I hunted with a cartridge like the 45/70, or one of the big-bore magnums, I might adjust that logic. For hunting with pistol rounds, like the two I mentioned above, I believe you owe it to the game to either keep the distances short, or the velocity up. Even with "hot" 44/40 (or my 44Mag) loads, I keep shots under 100 yards.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the lead used for making cowboy ammo sturdy enough to
penetrate properly, and create a good wound channel when
used for hunting purposes?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I don't doubt that 250 grain RNFP .45 Colt "Cowboy" ammunition will kill a deer.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Is the lead used for making cowboy ammo sturdy enough to
penetrate properly, and create a good wound channel when
used for hunting purposes?

Thanks,
Timberwolf
Fair question, but consider that deer were being dispatched quite readily by all sorts of plain lead projectiles, long before jacketed, or even gas-checked, rounds became available. Yes, the lead used to make any kind of factory ammo will do the job on a deer, so long as you keep the range fairly short.

Also, the 1,000 ft lbs "rule" is really more applicable to smaller diameter bullets that need to expand in order to create a sizable wound channel. Such does not apply to 44 and 45 caliber bullets; they only need to hit where you aimed and penetrate sufficiently. This will not be a problem, again, if the range is taken into consideration. When it comes right down to it, deer are remarkably easy to kill, with proper shot placement.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,711 Posts
The issue I see with most "cowboy" ammo is that the nose flat is too small. Cast bullets kill better with a wider, flat nose. Some of them are darn-near round noses and that's not good at all for cast bullet hunting, except small critters you don't want to tear up.

·
RIP Me. Gates
2,429 Posts
Interesting indeed! I am not into hand cannons and have seen, and done, killing with standard ammo in the 45 Colt......with hard cast big meplat bullets.
Lately the boys have been killing some nice hogs with the ROA/Kirst 45 Colt cylinder with a 205 gr hard cast at 995/1000'/"...loaded with Blackhorn 209.
The ROA is a bit heavy and that load is very controlable....and easy to hit with when stressed up!
I suppose I am out-of-date , but I see these fellows show up at Dixie with some hand cannons, tied down like a gunfighter. I have yet to see any of them keep two cylinder loads off hand on the 10" Gorilla Gong at 40 yards. If you are going to depend on your handgun for backup, you better be able to contoll it indeed!
Now, you can start telling me I don't know Jack!....James

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Mr Gates, good to hear from you again.
I dont doubt that a 250 grain lead bullet will kill deer or moose for that matter. Big hole lets air in and blood out since 1873, right?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Timberwolf,

What is the exact cartridge and firearm you are considering for hunting? Is it a 45LC, 44/40, carbine, pistol?

·
RIP Me. Gates
2,429 Posts
If you read the post...it metioned the Ruger Old Arny with a Kirst cylinder in 45 Cplt.
But on a larger sense it could apply to any caliber handgun used for deer/hog hunting within a reasonalble range. If one reads much, they will feel they have to use some hanfguns/handgun loads that only a very experienced handgun hunter can control....and one that pratices weekly all year around!
I began handgun hunting in 1956 with a Ruger Blackhawk with a #429421 bullet. This was before we learned about the Large Meplat handgun bullet design in cast bullets. During the years following I killed many hogs and deer with the standard 45 Colt load. Then...some of us designed molds for Extreme Meplat bullets in .357 - .430 - .452"/.454". We looked to find a balance of weight-velocity-control. It soon became obvious to anyone that has actual used handguns for hunting....we did not need what is advertised as hunting loads as far as velocity was concerned.....and maybe weight. The single most important design in handgun bullet design is the size of the meplat on the nose....to move water in tissue!
Just some thoughts....James

·
Banned
326 Posts
I agree James. I grew up in south FL and have killed a few hogs, and it doesnt take a cannon to do it. Accuracy and shot placement are much more important. Ive used both 44 mag and 45 colts and neither were what might be considered hot loads or max loads. Im a firm believer that an accurate shot with a mild load works a lot better than a poor shot with a max load.

·
RIP Me. Gates
2,429 Posts
After everything is said and done...We can only make suggestions as to loads for true wild hogs! I also have killed big hogs with a 22 rimfire short in the ear when they were in a pen/trap.
That's a great deal of difference than dealing with a Tusker in heavy cover on the ground
Bottom line is what you are willing to deal with! Most posts are about smaller feral jogs and few hunters will ever have to deal with a true Tusker indeed!
Or......someone that is playing with a smaller firearm. A few hunter/shooters have come down and hunted in the swamps with us....they go home with a great deal of respect for true wild hogs! Many are glad I put those snake/hog chaps on them.
Regards, James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts