Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im looking for a cowboy single action revolver that is cool but also can be very functional for handgun hunting or even self defense(don't scoff at this please stick to the question) any replies would be appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Arnt the new vaqueros weaker than the old.

The New Model Vaqueros are weaker than the old model Vaqueros. You can find the old model Vaqueros in the used market. I have and Old Model Vaquero in .44 mag myself. I got that one because I could only afford one gun at the time and wanted to be able use it for multiple purposes such as hunting, Cowboy Action if I wanted, and varmit shooting around the cabin.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
The new Vaqueros are good out of the box. I have owned both "new" and "old" Vaqueros and the new one's tolerances are spot on. The old ones are crude by comparison. How much juice do you need? If you need .44 mag level power then look for an old Vaquero in .45 Colt or .44 mag. If you are looing for a .357 the new Vaquero is a much better gun. Mine were both .45 Colt and I never shot "Ruger Only" loads. In the new Vaquero you can get a 280 gain .45 Colt bullet going at around 1,000 fps whcih is plenty of power for me.

·
Inactive account
788 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt, using factory standard velocities and bullet weights. You just cannot hot rod it.
At the same time, the Ruger New Vaquero in .357 is, by definition, safe for use with all factory .357 loads. If that works for hunting for you, then there wouldn't be any reason not to use the New Vaquero.
The Vaquero is a heavier pistol to cart around.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
You might be better off with a Super Blackhawk if you want .44 mag. The "Old" Vaquero is a good option as well.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
A Ruger Vaquero in .44 mag to go with your levergun would be good but your gonna have to search a bit for one cause they dont make them anymore and the New Vaquero doesnt shoot .44 Mags, but if you want good sights with rear adjustment, get a Blackhawk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ruger Vaquero or Bisley Vaquero in .44 Mag. (Stainless is nice - if you like Stainless). For Cowboy Action Shooting get a "Pair" of them (try for consecutive serial numbers). Ruger may not make the "Old Model" Vaquero in .44 Mag. now, but they are "out there" new and used. I saw a new Bisley Vaquero (Blue) in .44 Mag. at a dealer's in Indiana last Friday. I like the 7 inch barrel, you can use it for "anything" and shoot .44 Special ammo and any (Safe) .44 Mag. ammo load.

Good luck in finding what YOU want, Safershot

·
Banned
397 Posts
I have the old Vaquero. I had it re-sprung with Wolf springs and the
trigger set to about 2 lbs. With cast Keith 250 Grain bullets and about 7 grains
of Unique it shoots clover leaves off of a bench. It's a .44 magnum and
I use .44 Special cases.

Zeke

·
Inactive account
336 Posts
I guess you can read just about anything in the way of mis information on this forum you want. I just put spring kits in two new Vaquero's for a friend. These two guns were the ones they are making with the SASS logo on the grip. The size of them looked to be the very same size as my old model Vaquero's, the main difference I notice was the hammer design, which is the same as the Super Black Hawk and the Montado, except these two have a different checkering design. The owner of these two new guns thought they would be the size of the new Vaquero's, but they weren't. Montado's are not for sale from Ruger, but they are the smaller size. I don't think at this time we can make any statements as to what Ruger is selling and be 100% correct. I suspect they have quite a bit of old stock on hand they want to get rid of. Sometimes Ruger's own employee don't know what they are doing. I asked one of the manager's while visiting the Shot Show in Las Vegas, how many Vaquero's in 40 S&W Ruger had made. His answer was "none", after he did some research he found they had made two runs of 500 guns. So answer's from Ruger changes too.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I have an EAA Bounty Hunter 44 Mag. in 4.5 inch and nickel finish. Very handy and accurate. For the money its a good buy. Sights are right on for the 240 gr factory 44 Mag ammo. The guts are very similar to the Colt SAA except for a Ruger type transfer bar.

·
Inactive account
336 Posts
nothing like shooting a 44 special!!! Love It!!!
You've mentioned that before. Is that the only gun you have? I find shooting any of my Rugers enjoyable. I have a few 44 Mags, but no 44 specials. I have a few 22's, a few 357's, a 9 MM, a 10 MM, and a 30 Carbine, nothing like shooting a Ruger, unless you also like S&W, Glock & 1911's.

Attachments

·
Banned
267 Posts
I have a Taurus Gaucho in .45 Colt that was my all around gun until ammo prices went up. Then I wished I had bought the same gun in .357, LOL....
That or a new Model Vaquero will be a good all around gun. So would a blackhawk or old model Vaquero.

If shooting SA revolvers though ,be aware the more traditional ones with old fashioned springs that have not been customised are prone to parts breakages if you are foolish enough to fan your gun.
You can break every spring in a traditional SA revolver in 150 rounds....
I know. I have done just that.
Which is why I like the Gaucho and the Vaquero.

Supposedly the new model Vaquero is sligthly smaller and the same frame size as a Peacemaker.

·
Banned
57 Posts
You can break every spring in a traditional SA revolver in 150 rounds....
I know. I have done just that.
Which is why I like the Gaucho and the Vaquero.
Or get a real Colt. While Colt's springs may break more often than the coil springs of a Ruger, I've never, ever heard of every spring in a real Colt breaking in 150 rounds. Something was wrong with that gun, whoever made it. How on earth does one break the 1)mainspring, 2)hand spring, 3)trigger and bolt spring, 4)ejector spring, 5)loading gate detent spring, and 6)base pin retainer spring (if so equipped) all within 150 rounds?:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.