Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They're predicting -48 degrees Celcius for tomorrow.
Seems to me like that'll be awfully cold. Got me thinking though, that the coyotes are gonna be hungry on Sunday. Do we have any coyote hunters on here? I mean, not shooting a dog that happens by, but making a stand and calling? If so, I'd be awfully interesed in hearing what your favorite (or most cost-effective) gear is.

Personally I just use my woodland deer hunting camo (which seems to have been made for somebody around 5'1", 350lbs, and is likely around 30 years old...I'm their fourth hunter!), some sort of gun (Currently a CZ 550 in .223 with military optics and a full length stock) and my Quaker Boy Howler Plus Predator call. Man do I hate that thing.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Any kind of camo is fine, even a set of Carhartt coveralls - IF you cover your face and hands. If you move more than your eyes, you have probably blown it.

Sneak in, snuggle back into a bush and wait a few minutes before you start calling. (Any hand-held rabbit call works fine.) Call less than you think you need to, and not as loud. Wait ten minutes before you call again. If nothing shows ten minutes after that, stand up very slowly and take a careful look all around you.

Your rifle is fine, but you won't be fur-friendly if pelts are your goal.

·
Registered
750 Posts
-48*C, Where are you??

This time of year (deer season) I am more of a 'dog happened by' yote hunter.

Come Jan. 1 when we can hunt yote 24/7, we set up some staging on the roof of the barn and dress in dark clothes and face masks, nothing fancy as long as it is WARM. Usually with only a little luck, some kiss-calling/lip-squeaking prey noises will get them out of the woods at night. If that doesn't work, I have a SkYote call I got from Cabelas that I am not much good with, but is supposed to be good in cold weather. In the event of a really good night, you can hunt over the first dog down till you get tired of shooting them.

At night we are limited to rimfire or shotgun, so I opt for the 17HMR. You can pick your shot and it doesn't make an awful mess of them.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, I have to apologize...I accidently put .243, note that it should have been .223. Still make a mess of the pelts though (the topic of yet another thread). So far, at any stand I've ever called I've had at least one come in. We have no restrictions here as far as seasons or limitations to type of projectiles after nightfall, so hunting works...always. And lucky for me, nobody else that I know of calls dogs for lots and lots of miles (except for a cousin who also happens to be my dog hunting partner).

I've got some calls on order from Cabela's...a few of Randy Anderson's (which is apparently supposed to mean something to me). So hopefully they work better than my Howler Plus. That stupid thing lets me do coyote vocalizations for about the first 30 seconds on a stand. After that the back of the reed freezes down hard, and I'm stuck with cottontail sounds (the only sound left in the pitch range).

I'm just north east of "central" Alberta.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should also mention that I bought one of those wireless Phantom Pro Series electronic callers. When I said previously that I've never had a stand where I didn't call one in, I guess I lied (I was thinking about mouth calls). I had several. They were all with the electronic call. It would be an awesome idea if you could record your own calls. The ones on there are crazy (A young coyote howling...but its howls are about 2 seconds long, with a second or sometimes two in between and the odd yip. It's almost constand howling!)

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
ive only got two even though i use to hunt forem regular..the numbers are just not that great around here.. for the sake of the deer hunter i guess thats a blessing..don t have hogs either and i suspect they would be rougher than coyotes on fawns i suspect..so pickens are slim but that an other predators are my game now.. the wife never did like the idea of cooking deer meat as she watched bambi..porks a different matter though..i could really get into hunting those two critters..slim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've tried it a couple times but there isn't much area that you can get onto around here so haven't had much luck.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Fer Shame,Fer Shame

Ya'll would actually kill them cute,furry,little critters. Take a close look.....so cute and cuddly....shame on youz guyz. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yup, sure would.

Had a good drop on one this afternoon. My only options for a back stop were my truck or my neighbors house.

I thought about shooting at the truck.....

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Yup, sure would.

Had a good drop on one this afternoon. My only options for a back stop were my truck or my neighbors house.

I thought about shooting at the truck.....
Must hate that truck... ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
It was going to be a 44spc from my Encore Pistol at about 40 yards. I was confident in the accuracy, but was not so sure on penetration. And then I thought, even if it does go through, how much energy is really going to be left....

Needless to really say, I am dog-less for today.

·
Banned
505 Posts
Ya'll would actually kill them cute,furry,little critters. Take a close look.....so cute and cuddly....shame on youz guyz. ----pruhdlr
Its a shame? Now they are nice pelts to trade with whiteman! Its an age old tradition here, but @ -40 somthing I'll stay in untill the heat of the day like -23! LOL

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know if you folks happened to see it on the news or not (a friend from Texas called me up to tell me he did!), but we were the second coldest place on earth on (I believe) Sunday. Broke the record since sometime in the mid-1800's.

Now why do I live here?

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Howdy Folks! I am a newbie at Shooters Forum but I ain't still wet behind the ears anymore.:D It is plumb colder than a well-drillers auger this morning. I had to wave a piece of T-Bone Steak in front of my dogs to get them to come out of their dog houses.;) :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don't know if you folks happened to see it on the news or not (a friend from Texas called me up to tell me he did!), but we were the second coldest place on earth on (I believe) Sunday. Broke the record since sometime in the mid-1800's.

Now why do I live here?
Must be all that "GLOBAL WARMING" we are having. ;)

Michael Grace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts